Sunday, November 26, 2017

KillerSaurus


Director - Steve Lawson (Nocturnal Activity, Hellriser)
Starring - Julian Boote (Evil Souls, Jack the Giant Killer), Adam Collins (Justice League, Peaky Binders), and Helen Crevel (Essex Heist, Survival Instinct)
Release Date - 2015
Genre - Horror/Sci-Fi
Tagline - "Part human.  Part dinosaur.  All Soldier"

Rating (out of 5):

     The last few weeks I have been obsessed with the video game Ark: Survival Evolved.  This online game pits the player and their "tribe" against others on an island where you can tame prehistoric dinosaurs and animals.  Sounds stupid typing it out but I absolutely love it.  The game is a more polished 7 Days to Die with the zombies replaced with dinos.  I spend most of my spare time playing it after work and posts for Horror Society so I have a fair bit of knowledge about the game by this point.  With dinosaurs taking over so much of my time I decided to take a break from gameplay so I could watch a movie and review it.  When I started looking for my next victim I remembered that Wild Eye released the sci-fi horror film KillerSaurus about a science experiment gone wrong involving a t-rex.  This was the perfect time to check it out.
     The film follows a former lab assistant who is no longer employed after an experiment she was working on resulted in the death of one of her colleagues.  It has been 3 months since the accident and her boyfriend, who just happens to be a freelance journalist convinces her to go back to the facility so he can get the scoop on the secret experiments to make some quick cash.  Once inside he is confronted with an evil he could never imagine along with an organization that wants to weaponize the abomination.
     Wild Eye is one of my favorite distribution companies.  If they release a film you can better believe I'm going to watch the mother fucker.  As much as I love them they have release a few that I just didn't care for.  Dario Argento has the Card Player and George A. Romero has Bruiser so it would be silly to expect fans to love everything you favorite director or distribution company releases.  KillerSaurus wasn't for me.  I like what they started with but as the film progressed it just wasn't where I was hoping for.  The acting in this one is solid.  The cast was surprisingly natural in front of the camera and after checking their imdb.com pages I can see why.  Some of the characters were a little underdeveloped but the cast is able to work with what they were given to give the viewer some solid performances.  The story for this one starts out promising and knows where its going but is unable to get the viewer there without falling asleep.  The dinosaur/human hybrid and the secret experiment was fun.  I could see this one being a tribute to the sci-fi creature features of the 50s.  Sadly, the film is full of horribly written dialogue that slows the film down to the point you are forcing yourself to stay awake. If you need an energy drink and a finger up your ass to stay awake you know the writing is all wrong.   Finally, the film does have a few on screen kills and a slew of effects.  The kills we do get are not that entertaining.  In fact, they are down right forgettable but we do get some pretty cool old school visual effects with the rex.  I really enjoyed this technique to get it on the screen and wish more films would get back to this type of effects.  Overall, KillerSaurus was an awesome idea but not the best execution.  The film needs to be rewritten and a lot of the scenes tightened up.  Otherwise, it is a slow moving snoozer.  




No comments:

Post a Comment