Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Fags in the Fast Lane




Director - Josh Collins (The Perv Parlor)
Starring - Chris Asimos (Danger 5, The Worst Alien in the World), Matt Jones (Night Shift, Neighbors), and Sasha Cuha (M is for Melt, Deadline)
Release Date - 2017
Genre - Comedy/Adventure
Tagline - "A packed jockstrap of thriller rock n roll adventure"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Writing for Horror Society has been a dream for me.  I've always been a movie minded person and I can't remember a time in my life where movies wasn't a huge part of it.  It opened the door to so many more films that I would have never heard of before hand.  As much as I love horror I often find myself drifting deep into exploitation cinema.  I love it all; hixploitation, bruceploitation, sexploitation, and Blaxploitation.  As much as I love exploitation I sometimes cross paths with a sub-genre I had never experienced before.  Sometime ago I was sent the Australian queersploitation flick Fags in the Fast Lane.   I couldn't wait to check it out and The Cult of Monster was kind enough to send me a review copy.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows The Cock Slinger Beaux (Asimos) and his partner Lump (Jones) to track down a group of ruthless burlesque dancers who attacked Beaux's mother and her geriatric whores.  Along the way he enlists the help of cross dresser Salome (Cuha) and a kidnapped homophobe but things go south for the gang when they learn that the leader of the burlesque gang has stolen the powerful golden cock and now plans on using it's power for evil.  Now The Cock Slinger and his group but revenge his mother and stop her from using the ultimate power against the world.
     I love how exploitation films go against society.  Most exploitation films are considered counter culture so it makes sense that in 2018 I would be watching an exploitation film centered around gay and trans characters.  I really enjoyed this one.  In fact, I liked it so much I watched it three times in just as many days.  The acting in this one is great.  The characters are bold, colorful, and in some cases very flamboyant and the cast does a fantastic job bringing them to life.  Every character was perfectly casted and they bring a ton of high energy to their performances creating several unforgettable scenes.  The story for this one is John Waters meets the wacky go-go films of yesteryear.  A lot of time and focus went into the characters which is something I really adore and the story is equally as fun.  Some of the scenes do nothing for the story but they are still fun.  Finally, the film does have some blood and minor gore.  The gags we get are funny and fit the film very well.  The effects are on a budget but they do the best with what they have and they work.  Overall, Fags in the Fast Lane is the most fun I've had with an exploitation film all year.  The humor is spot on, the story is amazing, and the cast is damn near perfect.  I cannot recommend this film enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment