Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Grindsploitation 2: The Lost Reels



Director(s) - Nick Box (She's Dead, Suicide Preachers), Mike Connors (The 12 Slays of Christmas, 60 Seconds to Die), and Shawn Shillingford (60 Seconds 2 Die: 60 Seconds to Die 2)
Starring - Tymisha Harris (Blood of the Tribades), Wednesday Alice Edrie (Trashploitation), and Rusty Apper (The Nobodies, Escaping the Dead)
Release Date - 2016
Genre - Horror/Sci-Fi
Tagline - "Still hungry? Time for a SECOND SERVING"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screening)

Rating (out of 5):
 
     I had to take a long weekend.  When I was at work Thursday I started to feel ill and left the store early.  I spent the next three days in bed or in the bathroom.  It was not a pleasant experience to say the least.  I wanted to get working on my reviews but sitting up was too much of a task so my reviews took a back seat for a few days.  My last review was for the 2016 trailer and short compilation Grindsploitation.  I had watched the follow up, Grindsploitation 2: The Lost Reels after the first film and this break gave me a little longer to think about it.  I liked what it was but there was still something it was lacking.  The film is currently available in a three film collection from Troma.  
     This installment is once again a compilation of fake trailers and shorts ranging from grindhouse inspired product ads to aliens invading the world. 
      I went into this one expecting much of the same as the first and I was not disappointed.  I was, once again, disappointed in the fact that there was nothing holding all these shorts and trailers together but it was still entertaining for what it's worth.  The acting in this one is not consistent.  Like it's predecessor, the shorts and trailer feature various degrees of actors and actresses.  Some have been in front of the camera before and have a several credits to their name on imdb while others are new to being in front of the camera.  Each segment should be considered its own film when looking at the acting instead of the overall film.  The stories for this one are just as entertaining as the first film.  We have several vampire, slashers, aliens, and grindhouse stories.  The trailers were the more entertaining segments with the shorts missing their marks due to their lack of running time.  Lumped together most are fine but by themselves they would be extremely boring and unoriginal.  Finally, this one has tons of practical and visual effects.  The practical effects and blood is fun but I was really impressed with how well some of them incorporated computer generated effects into their trailers and shorts.  My biggest complaint, which is the same that I have for the first film, is that it lacks a bookend segment to hold them all together.  We just wonder aimless from one segment to another.  Overall, Grindsploitation 2: The Lost Reels is a fun watch.  Some of the shorts and trailers will make you frustrated when you think about how amazing they are yet we will never see a feature length film for it while others just lacked imagination.  Check this one out now on blu from Troma. 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment