Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Lady Street Fighter



Director - James Bryan (Jungle Trap, Hell Riders)
Starring - Renee Harmon (Frozen Scream, Night of Terror), Jody McCrea (Major Dundee, Bikini Beach), and Trace Carradine
Release Date - 1981
Genre - Action/Crime
Tagline - "She makes the good guys happy.  She makes the bad guys bleed"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
 
    
     I don't know if its my age or just my tastes changing but I find myself getting more and more obsessed with exploitation than horror.  This is a kick started by Vinegar Syndrome but other companies were around before them.  Companies like AGFA and Something Weird.  Sometime ago AGFA start releasing strange exploitation flicks on blu and DVD.  I was sent some to review and I was instantly hooked on their weird and sleazy exploitation flicks.  Sometime ago I got the AGFA blu for Lady Street Fighter from MVD.  I had heard of this one but I never had the opportunity to check it out until now.  Thank you MVD for sending this one my way!
     The film follows a European kung-fu beauty who visits LA to hunt the group responsible for murdering her sister.  In her hunt she befriends a federal agent who may not be who he claims to be. 
     I knew this one was going to be a bad but fun experience and I was right for the most part.  The movie hit all the rights notes that I was hoping it would hit but there was some things that just didn't sit well for me.  I loved the acting in this one.  Most of the cast did not give a fuck.  Renee Harmon had no idea what she was doing and it was fucking brilliant.  Her sexy kung-fu fighting was absolutely laughable but it was still entertaining to watch.  She may be a lot of things but coordinated in bellbottom jeans is not one of them.  The rest of the cast is the same way.  They awkwardly spit out their dialogue and I fucking love it.  They give zero fucks at establishing a character and it makes the movie just that much more better.  The story for this one is a bit of a mess but fits the film.  The late 70s we saw several vigilante films where we follow a someone avenging the death of a loved one.  This started in the early 70s with Death Wish but once we hit 78 we were given hundreds of clones.  I'm surprised a film with a similar story was being released in the early 80s especially with a kung-fu feel.  I liked the story but there is several scenes that did not fit the story and create confusion.  Finally, This one has a few fight scenes with horrible choreography but doesn't have blood for you real gorehounds out there.  We have a little blood here and there but nothing that really adds up.  Overall, Lady Street Fighter is a fucking gem for fans of trashy cinema.  I recommend checking this one out with a few friends and a bunch of booze.  Its going to be a blast.  


 


No comments:

Post a Comment