Thursday, August 22, 2019

Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus



Director(s) - Young Kyun Park (Action Dad, Super Zach), Jhonen Vasquez (Very Important House), and Hong-Seung Yoon (Death Bell, The Target)
Starring - Richard Steven Horvitz (Summer School, Shrek), Rikki Simons (Invader Zim, Mighty Magiswords), and Andy Berman (Psych, The Wonder Years)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Action/Adventure
Format - Streaming (Netflix)

Rating (out of 5):

 
 
     Netflix is redeeming themselves in my eyes.  I've paid for Netflix every month for almost 8 years now and I have to say that every time I sit down to watch something I often find myself jumping over to Hulu instead.  However, that's changing with Stranger Things, the new Rocko's Modern Life special, and now the new Invader Zim film.  I watched Invader Zim some when I was in high school but I really got into the show when I was in college.  I always watched the same three movies while drinking but on a few occasions I would give Invader Zim a spin when I wasn't in the mood for Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, O' Brother Where Art Thou, and Black Dynamite. I was browsing Netflix yesterday when I saw the new Invader Zim special.  I had no idea this was a thing so I had to dive directly into it.   
     The film picks up sometime after the show ending with Dib locking himself in his room while he awaits for Zim's return.  He has let hygiene go and never leaves his room until that fateful day Zim reappears.  Dib has to pry himself from his chair and get back into shape before Zim can initiate phase 2 of his plan.  It is at this moment that Zim realizes that the Almighty Tallest actually sent him to Earth as a joke.  This sends him into a deep depression that results in Dib letting his guard down.  Zim capitalizes on his moment of weakness and uses his father's knew invention to teleport the Earth in the direct path of the Almighty Tallest's armada so Earth can be destroyed.  This causes a florpus which could destroy the Earth.  Dib enlists the help of his dad, his sister, and his father's clone Clembrane to stop Zim and take Earth back to it's rightful place in the galaxy. 
     I went into Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus with some pretty high expectations after watching Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling and I was not disappointed.  I didn't have that nostalgic connection with the show like I did with RML but I still enjoyed it just as much and this movie was just as fun as the show.  The voice acting sees the original cast back reprising their iconic roles with just as much passion as seen in the show.  The story for this one is just as wild and crazy that you would come to expect from the show.  It has it's disgusting moments, it's crazy sci-fi moments, and the same style of humor that made the show so much fun.  I did not find myself becoming bored with the film and when it was over I wanted more.  This a movie for fans of the show and a lot of dedication went into writing this one.  Finally, the animation is the same style as the show.  As soon as the film starts you find yourself back to the early 2000s just like when you watched the show originally.  Overall, Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus is for the fans of the show.  It picks up beautifully from where the show left off and gives the viewer everything they wanted in a follow up film.  Check it out now on Netflix. 





No comments:

Post a Comment