Monday, September 9, 2019

Slaughterhouse Slumber Party


Director - Dustin Mills (Invalid, Her Name Was Torment)
Starring - Erin R. Ryan (Awkward Thanksgiving, Applecart), Haley Madison (Space Babes from Outer Space, The Slit-Mouthed Woman), and Kayla Elizabeth (Night of the Living Dead, Another Average Halloween)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     A little less than a month ago I made a promise to myself to take my review more seriously.  I was letting way too many movies stack up and I never found the time to check them out.  I set out to review at least one movie a day and if I found the time I would do more here and there.  I work full time and have three little ones that love my attention so finding time to watch and review horror/exploitation was difficult but I was able to do it.  Now, I'm reviewing 2 or 3 movies a day and I actually enjoy getting caught up on my backlog of movies.  However, sometimes I have to stop what I'm doing to review a movie from a filmmaker that I love.  Earlier in the year Dustin Mills announced a new feature length film Slaughterhouse Slumber Party.  I shared exclusive photos for the film on the site but I fucking forgot to pre-order a copy and he was sold out when I remembered I needed to.  A few days ago Dustin announced that he had a few extra copies for sale and I jumped on it.  I'm glad I did because this one was a fun ride.  Thanks Dustin for hooking me up!
     The film follows a group of sexy women who gather once a year for a sleep over with drinking and no judgement.  This year one of them brings socially awkward and backward Gretchen (Lupa) to the party.  Gretchen secretly practices dark magic and spells and has conjured something evil in the attic before she dies from a freak pillow fighting accident.  They panic and when her body comes back to life she shoot her and then dispose of her body in the lake.  This does not contain her and she is soon back in the home thinning the group until only a few of them remain.  The remaining almost nude beauties must then band together to stop Gretchen before she takes all their souls.  
     I was not expecting Slaughterhouse Slumber Party to be the type of film it was.  I've been a fans of Dustin for years now and this film did throw me off at first.  I obviously liked the film but it did take some getting used to at first.  This made the movie stand out but was this unique approach to the story helpful or detrimental?  The acting in this one is great.  The entire cast was funny to watch and nice to look at.   Each character in the film has their own personality with the cast doing a fantastic job bringing those to life.  Some characters are funny and carry the scenes while others are more grounded which helps the story move along.  I can't take all day to credit each and every member of the cast but they truly deserve some praise.  The story for this one is amazing and distracting at the same time.  The film borrows the reality tv show premise in a way the show The Office does where random interviews breaking up the segment.  The film tosses that in with the story which was funny the first few times but 20 minutes in and the joke has ran it's course.  I found myself on the fence with this one until roughly the 40 minute mark and then Mills pulled me back in.  The story picks up at that point and we are thrust even deeper into the chaos of the ghost story that unfolds in similar fashion to Evil Dead meets Poltergeist.  We get nods to several horror classics and they all work.  Finally, the film is a return to Mills' superb blend of computer generated effects and practical effects.  In some scenes the visual effects are silly but that is intentional and then in others they look great.  They work with the practical effects to make the scenes even more fun.  The practical effects we get are great as well but the visuals are what draws the viewer in.  Overall, Slaughterhouse Slumber Party brings director Dustin Mills from his Crumpleshack Films back to his classic look.  I enjoy Crumpleshack Films from Dustin but his unique combination of visual and practical effects create unforgettable movie experiences.  I highly recommend this one so check it out if you can!






No comments:

Post a Comment