Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Hitcher in the Dark




Director - Umberto Lenzi (Cannibal Ferox, Nightmare City)
Starring - Joe Balogh (Moonstalker, Black Demons), Josie Bissett (Mikey, The Doors), and Jason Saucier (Constantine, Resurrection)
Release Date - 1989
Genre - Thriller
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     If you have read my reviews for sometime then you may have noticed that I'm plagued by the number three when it comes to negative reviews.  If I watch a movie and I don't like it I soon find myself watching two more before I move on to a movie I enjoy.  It's not always 3 movies in a row but I've some how just made it through three films that I was not a fan of.  The Polonia Brother's Nightmare Vacation, the confusing Hideous Bog Monster, and Vin Syn's The Fear.  Vinegar Syndrome has sent over The Fear to review along with the 1989 Italian/American coproduction Hitcher in the Dark.  This is one I was very familiar with but had never seen it.  Collectors may recall seeing this one on DVD from years ago with the Giallo Collection plastered across the top of it.  I want to thank Vin Syn for sending this one my way.
     This film follows a mentally unstable Mark (Balogh) who picks up female hitchhikers in his RV before he kills them.  While visiting Virginia Beach he spots the lovely Daniela (Bissett) and watches her break up with her boyfriend before leaving.  He finds her walking and offers her a lift.  This is the beginning or her torment as he bounds and gags her before drugging her to have his way with her.
     I was pretty excited to give Hitcher in the Dark a spin considering how much of a giallo kick I was on but I was a little confused as to why it wasn't included in the gialli box sets released by Vin Syn.  After a few moments into the movie I realized that this was not a giallo at all and he DVD release I saw many collectors share years ago was improperly labeled.  The movie may be an Italian/American production but it is not a giallo.  However, it is a highly entertaining thriller that I enjoyed a lot.  The acting in this one is pretty fucking fun and I really enjoyed the casting choices.  Balogh is amazing as the unstable killer who is trying to fill the void of the love that abandoned him when he was a child.  It's a pretty cliched character but I love the intensity that Balogh brings to the screen.  Bissett is my favorite part of the film.  This beautiful actress delivers one hell of a performance as the woman in peril.  She's strong when she has to be but when she's in serious danger her emotions are extremely raw and grounded.  I loved her performance and how she portrayed the character.  The supporting cast is solid.  There is a few scenes where supporting characters are a little awkward but for the most part they deliver.  The story for this one reminded me some of another thriller from 1989, Mind Games.  The similarities are just in the scenarios but the overall stories are very much different.  Following a killer in an RV traveling the coast is a pretty clever setting for a sleazy slasher.  However, the film is more of a dark thriller with not as much bloodshed as I would have loved to see.  The way this one unfolded it focused more on his relationship with his victim and not a body count.  It wasn't what I was expecting but it was still held my attention from beginning to end.  Finally, the film has several deaths but they are very underwhelming and unoriginal.  We get some blood, a little practical effects, and just enough screen time to see them before moving on to the next scene.  Nothing that will stick with you like other films.  Overall, Hitcher in the Dark is not the sleazy giallo I was expecting but god damn was it not a fun one.  I really enjoyed this one and if you are open to it you will enjoy it as well.  Another amazing release from the folks over at Vin Syn!  Give this one a spin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment