Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Insidious


Director - James Wan (Saw, The Conjuring)
Starring - Patrick Wilson (Watchmen, Aquaman), Rose Byrne (Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, 28 Weeks Later), and Ty Simpkins (Avengers: End Game, War of the Worlds)
Release Date - 2010
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "It's not the house that's haunted"
Format - UHD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     A few weeks back I was sent the UHD steelbook release of the James Wan directed horror film Insidious. I remembered watching this one years ago but I didn’t remember shit about the movie aside from The Conjuring’s Patrick Wilson starred in it three years before he took on the role of Ed Warren. This made me realize how many hard hitting horror titles was released over the last 15 years or so with 2010 having several films that are still making horror lists to this day. While I do enjoy Tucker and Dale vs Evil and Troll Hunter, Insidious is the one that has gained the biggest following. It spawned a very successful franchise that continued with a sequel just this year. I was really looking forward to revisiting this one as I prepare myself for my annual October horror movie binge. 
      The film follows a family that are horrified to find their son unresponsive in his bed. The doctors are stumped by what has happened to him and can’t explain his coma like state so his mother turns to a psychic that her mother in law recommended. They soon learn that he is an accomplished astral-projectionist that has strayed too far from his body. It’s something he had inherited from his father and now it’s up to him to astral-project so he can lead his son back to his body before something sinister uses it as vessel for evil. 
      Insidious is one of those films that feels a bit goofy when you explain the plot out loud but when you actually sit down to watch it you find yourself fully dedicated in the film. I really enjoyed the film and can see why so many other genre fans are obsessed with it but I do feel goofy talking about the plot out loud. It’ a strange story but the gamble does pay off. The acting in this one is great. I’m a huge fan of Patrick Wilson. He’s a phenomenal actor and this is no exception. Also, I’ve been a big fan of Lynn Shaye for most of my life. I first saw her in the comedy Kingpin as the crusty landlord that Woody Harrelson’s character sleeps with to cover his rent. She has a wide range of characters that she played and, while I find her to be severely underutilized here, she still delivered a fantastic performance. The supporting cast is solid but most do blend into the background with the exception of these two in my opinion. The story for this one is goofy but it’s done so fucking well that it works. The movie’s tone, tension, and suspense makes this story, that borrows heavily from the original Poltergeist, very effective. We follow a family who has an unresponsive child (or stuck in the TV) who hires a psychic to help them get him back. Then one of the parents, in this instance it’s the father, has to retrieve the child and bring them back. While it is similar to Poltergeist it still has it’s own imagery, characters, and mythos that I’m sure is further explored in future sequels. Finally, the film is not a bloody or violent one. The scares come from jump scares, painted demons, and haunting atmosphere. The make-up effects are great but those looking for gore will be disappointed. Overall, Insidious is worth your time especially if you gravitate toward the supernatural side of horror. I often skip pop horror but this one is worth the hype. Check it out on UHD now just in time for Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment