Thursday, November 23, 2023

The Latent Image


Director - Alexander McGregor Birrell (Braincell, Sleepaway Slasher)
Starring - Joshua Tonks (The Society, What's Left Inside), Jay Clift (The Bleeding Edge, Supergirl), and William Tippery 
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Inspiration can be deadly"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I’ve learned over the years that my reviews are going to be scrutinized no matter what I saw about the film or television show that I’m reviewing. That doesn’t stop me from writing what I want to write but I do prepare myself mentally for the dumbasses to pile out of whatever hole they have been living in so they can comment bullshit that I never take the time to read. Several years ago I was introduced to the fantastic film Fags in the Fast Lane. This was my introduction to queer cinema which is something I never really thought about. I fucking loved everything about this film and I’ve watched several queer films since then. While I am a straight man and understand that I am not their target audience, I still enjoy horror and exploitation regardless of sexuality. A few weeks back Cinephobia Releasing. I watched the trailer and couldn’t wait to see it. In fact, I tried to sneak it into my October horror binge but time didn’t allow it. Regardless, I want to thank Cinephobia Releasing for sending it over! 
      The film follows an author who leaves his boyfriend behind to travel to an isolated cabin for a few days so he could write without distractions. However, a stranger finds his way into the cabin where things heat up and turn deadly. 
      I went into this one excited to check it out. The trailer and synopsis really painted a vivid picture which really pulled me in. Some of the best horror films follows a struggling author who is trying to find inspiration away from the mundane. Sadly, The Latent Image delivers a predictable and extremely cliched story with a gay twist. It had so much potential to be something that stands out. Instead, it went down the road that is very traveled. The acting in this one is very well done. The cast is very small but everyone is fully dedicated to their roles. While the characters are a bit one dimensional and cliched, the cast did the best with what they were given and deliver some solid performances. The story for this one has so much potential but goes with a story that has been told numerous times before. Over the years the setting of an author secluded in the woods when something strange happens and, as a direct result, inspires the author’s next story. It’s not that original even with the queer spin to it. I like that it was added to the story to give queer cinema more of a voice but the film itself was predictable and dull. Finally, if you want some blood and gore then you will be very disappointed. The film does lack this. It’s a character piece that focuses more on the situation than the blood. Overall, The Latent Image has an interested premise but fails deliver something not predictable or cliched. I hate to say it but this is one I would skip.

No comments:

Post a Comment