Thursday, January 4, 2024

Night of the Demons 2


Director - Brian Trenchard-Smith (Leprechaun 3, Atomic Dog)
Starring - Amelia Kinkade (Night of the Demons, Road House), Jennifer Rhodes (Slumber Party Massacre II, Ghost Fever), and Merle Kennedy (Dollman, May)
Release Date - 1994
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Angela's throwing another party.  Trick or treat, sucker"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     The first Night of the Demons is a film that I had seen numerous times over the years and often recommend to genre fans looking Halloween centered films for their October watch lists. I’ve upgraded the film to various formats over the years and the recent UHD release from Scream Factory is fantastic. While I’ve seen this movie countless times over the years, I can count on one hand the times I’ve seen Night of the Demons 2. I snagged the Olive Films DVD release many years ago and watched it a couple times since then but I always forget about it. Honestly, I like the sequel and I wish I would watch it along with the original more often. Recently, my wish came true when Scream Factory sent over a copy of Night of the Demons 2 on blu with their UHD release of the first film. I want to take a moment to thank them for sending it over! 
      The film picks up several years after the events of the first film. Angela’s sister Mouse is now attending a Catholic school for troubled youths after her parents killed themselves the year prior. Angela has been missing since the murders and the locals has contributed local legends to her and Hull House. The school is preparing for a dance but a group of them has decided to sneak off and party with some locals where they find themselves at Hull House. Mouse doesn’t want to be there but the longer she is she realizes that Angela is still there and something evil is in control of her. 
      Night of the Demons 2 is a solid continuation of the first film. While it’s not as good as the first film it still scratches that itch for a follow up that fans of the first film wanted. Honestly, I like it and really should be running a double feature every time I watch the first film. The acting in this one really surprised me. No matter how many times I watch this one I’m still surprised by Christine Taylor. She’s appeared in a few genre titles like The Craft, Scary Movie 5, Campfire Tales, and Here Come the Munsters but most don’t associate her with horror. That may be why her performance here stands out so much to me. While the characters are just as cliched as the first film, I find myself drawn to them more in this film. Their personalities stand out so much and the cast is amazing. Amelia Kinkade returns as Angela, the late Zoe Trilling delivers a fantastic and sexy performance, and the rest of the cast is just as great. The story for this one is a solid continuation of the first film but it does have it’s goofy moments. Having Angela return along with possessing more teens looking to party really fits the theme of the first film. However, having the demons cross the underground stream that was said to be a barrier they can’t cross by having a character steal the lipstick from the infamous scene in the first one is lazy writing in my opinion. Having the demons follow them in a more demonic manner would have made more sense instead of them attaching themselves to boob-lipstick. That’s really my only complaint with the story as the rest of it works. Finally, the film once again delivers some great practical and make-up effects. The deaths look great and the effects rival the ones seen in the first film. They look fantastic, fit the film, and deliver some humor which I was not expecting. While the film does lack a memorable scene like the lipstick-boob scene it still has fantastic effects. Overall, Night of the Demons 2 is a great follow up to a classic horror film. It may not reach the heights of it’s predecessor it still delivers. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment