Thursday, October 17, 2013

Halloween 2 (2009)


Halloween 2 (2009)
directed by:  Rob Zombie
starring:  Danielle Harris, Scout Compton, Brad Dourif, Malcolm McDowell, Tyler Mane, Margot Kidder
Format:  Blu-Ray Personal Collection
Tag Line:  Family is Forever.



Sorry Rob I hate your vision of the Halloween franchise.  Mr. Zombie is god-like to me so it's very hard for me to say that and write this but it's true I pull punches for no one.  Loved everything else he has done most especially Lords of Salem but I'm lost as to what and why he did what he did to Michael Myers. 
    
     Gripe #1:  Michael Myers is not the Incredible Hulk.  I don't mind changes in a remake and all but this and gripe #2 just rub me wrong in so many ways.  Jason Vorhees ok he's a bit of burley guy but not Myers.  I found the new Shape to be not a Shape at all just a professional wrestler gone bad.  Then the facial hair...yes I know he was a bum living on his own but again I just don't see Michael Myers running around with long hair and a full beard.  But it's Rob Zombie who loves a good face full of hair so...
 Gripe #2:  The knife is not a butcher's knife, it's a Indiana Jones knife.  Yes it's a picker gripe and I hate picker gripes but I didn't like it.  I look at the two pictures to the left and don't think Halloween or Michael Myers.  Change the names and title and I'd love it but ugh!

Gripe #3:  The childhood abuse of Michael Myers totally takes away from the mystery and scariness of the film.  This is my biggest problem with these films.  Michael Myers was scary because he just snapped.  Ultimately this is what ruined the remakes for me he's just another slasher with a score to settle.

Gripe #4:  Dr. Loomis was not a monster.  I love Malcolm McDowell and I was so disappointed when I saw that Zombie chose to depict him as an asshole out to get money and rape the tragedy of the victims.  Not only that but he was a pompous ass. 

Okay that all being said the performances of Danielle Harris, Brad Dourif, and Scout Compton are the reason I watch part 2 of the remakes.  That and the brutality of the death scenes most especially the nurse at the very beginning.  The film also includes an awesome Halloween party with a band called Captain Clegg and the Night Creatures whom I can't stand at all but they fit the part very well so whatever.  That is all.



No comments:

Post a Comment