Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Vice Versa

Director - Matthias Kuehl
Starring - Stefan Weih, Sarah Uecker, and Patrick Sieweke
Release Date - 2014
Genre - Horror
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Writing reviews is very rewarding for a horror fan.  It has opened so many doors for me and introduced me to so many amazing people.  My horror family grows every day.  When I started writing reviews for Horror Society I found myself receiving films daily that I had no idea were coming my way.  These surprises are something I look forward to.  I have been lucky enough to get countless amazing films to review.  A few months back I was sent the short Vice Versa to review and I have no idea where it came from.  It is a German flick if I am not mistaken but I have no idea who to thank for sending it my way.  If you are reading this and you are the one responsible for sending it my way then I want to thank you!
     The film follows a well dressed man who is walking down a country road trying to find a ride home.  He fails several times before landing a ride from a gentleman after dark.  The young man takes him to his home where he knocks him out and drags him inside while his sister watches.  He then lays him on a table and proceeds to drain him.  He then goes in with his sister and we are shown that they are incestuous and kill people who are unfortunate enough to pick them up.
     I was confused when I first received Vice Versa.  I had no idea what the film was about and the film's case gave no indication about what I was about to watch.  Sadly, I wish the film came with a warning label.  The acting in this one is pretty much non-existent.  The film has four people total and none of them really interact with one another very well.  Though the film is in German the cast just does not feel like they connect with one another.  This makes the film feel bland.  Also, German just sounds angry and that may be why the cast feels distant.  The story for this one is one we have seen so many times before ranging from Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Motel Hell, House of 1000 Corpses and so on.  The story following a family that butcher strangers is nothing new, and sadly, it has lost it's impact with so many films using it now.  Finally, the film has one death and it takes place off screen.  It is a simple stick and drain of a tied down man that offers no entertainment value.  The kill has no effects which was another let down.  Overall, Vice Versa was a surprise film that was surprisingly bad.  I could not find a redeeming quality other than how crisp and clean the images and shots were.  The film looked professional but with an amateur team.  Skip this one if you can.




No comments:

Post a Comment