Monday, July 18, 2022

An Ex-Hooker's Christmas Carol


Director - Dave Castiglione (Deep Undead, Before I Die)
Starring - Dave Castiglione, Phyllis Crouthamel, Deana Demko (Dark Tales from Channel X, Halloween Horror Tales)
Release Date - 1995
Genre - Crime/Drama
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I ordered Backwoods Marcy I had no idea that a second film was included as part of the special features.  I know I wasn't much of a fan of Bookwoods but I was happy to be able to include it in my collection.  However, I was very interested in the bonus film which happened to be the 1995 film An Ex-Hooker's Christmas Carol.  I'm all for odd cinema and couldn't wait to check out this S.O.V. drama brought to us from Saturn's Core.
      The film follows a hooker who is caught stealing while on probation.  Her punishment is to work for a mentally challenged man who wants to show her the true meaning of the holidays.  
     An Ex-Hooker's Christmas Carol is a little better than Backwoods Marcy but that isn't saying much.  The movie does have a few random laughs, that I'm sure was unintentional, but the movie was almost just as difficult to finish.  I wanted to love it but it was one bad film.  The acting in this one is some of the worst I've seen.  The cast is inexperienced but they do try.  They are dedicated to their performance but their inexperience and lack of direction is very noticeable.  The story for this one is a no-budget attempt at the classic Christmas Carol that fails.  The characters are poorly written, the scenes are dull, and the story is stretched so thin that it fails to achieve what it set out to do.  I did laugh at a few unintentionally funny moments but the overall story is one huge missed opportunity.  Finally, no blood or guts for you sickos.  The movie is meant to be a cult movie fan's Christmas film but even then it doesn't really achieve that.  Overall, An Ex-Hooker's Christmas Carol is another one I can't recommend.  As a collector I'm super fucking pumped to own it but I'm not going to lie and saw I loved it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment