Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Texas Chainsaw Massacre


Director - Tobe Hooper (Poltergeist, Lifeforce)
Starring - Marilyn Burns (Helter Skelter, Eaten Alive), Edwin Neal (My Boyfriend's Back, Zombiegeddon), and Allen Danzinger (Storage Locker, Eggshells)
Release Date - 1974
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Who will survive and what will be left of them?"
Format - UHD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I’ve been asked to review some of the world’s most memorable horror films over the years ranging from the classic Universal monster movies to modern films that became instant classics like X and Barbarian. When I started writing reviews 13 years ago I never expected to be asked to review some of the films that has been sent my way. It’s an exciting feeling getting to review some of the movies I grew up with as they find releases on new formats. A few weeks ago I was sent the original 1974 Tobe Hooper classic The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on UHD for review. This steelbook release gave me the opportunity to revisit this one. While it’s not my favorite film in the franchise I still respect the hell out of it and it is still a fun watch. 
      The film follows a group of twenty-somethings as they travel through Texas after news broke about a series of graverobbers has plagued several southern towns. After they pick up an unhinged hitchhiker, they find themselves at a home isolated from others and inside that home is a family of cannibals with a knack for killing. 
      The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre gave the world the iconic slasher Leatherface along with being one of the most effective horror films of it’s time. I give credit where credit is due and TCM has everything going for it. With that being said, it’s not even in my top three favorite TCM films. It’s an amazing film and a still enjoy watching it from time to time. The acting in this one is one of my favorite parts of the film. The entire cast is firing on every cylinder but my favorite performances will always be Ed Neal’s and Gunnar Hansen. The characters they both portrayed still stand out regardless of how many times you’ve seen the film. The story for this one was shocking for the early 70s but doesn’t really have the impact on viewers discovering the film for the first time now. However, the premise and set up still works regardless of when it was made. It’s a straight forward story that has endless possibilities for sequels which has been tested over the years. Finally, the film is not as bloody and gory as you would expect. Leatherface’s iconic mask looks amazing and we get a few scenes with blood and a few cheap gags but the lack of gore has always disappointed me. Overall, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a huge part of horror history and this steelbook is a must own for fans of the film and genre collectors. While it’s not my favorite film in the franchise I still respect the hell out of it and this release is a must own. Check it out

No comments:

Post a Comment