Thursday, July 27, 2023

Real Cool Time


Director - Matthew Packman (Morbid Colors, Husk)
Starring - Kara Gray (Payton's Burden, How to Sit in Church), Lanae Hyneman (Morbid Colors), and Alice Shen (A Quiet Family Christmas, Both Ways: The Movie)
Release Date - 2023
Genre - Horror
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I never really got into shorts until I started writing for Horror Society but now I find myself almost obsessed with them. Don’t get me wrong, I fucking love feature length horror films especially if the story fills the run time but shorts make much better use of their time. We don’t get a lot of filler or bullshit scenes that only extend the film’s run time. Shorts are straight to the point with very little time to waste yours which is why I rarely turn down the opportunity to review one. A few months back I was asked to review Real Cool Time. I knew nothing about this one but I agreed. I’m glad I did because it was a solid indie short that worked. I want to thank director Matthew Packman for reaching out to me to check this one out. 
      The film follows a journalist that visits an acclaimed female rock musician who is working on new material. The journalist is hoping to get a sneak peak at some new music along with a look at the day in the life of the young musician but finds herself face to face with something far more sinister. 
      Real Cool Time doesn’t try to reinvent the wheel or deliver an overly complicated story with no pay off. Instead, its short, sweet, and to the point with no time to really waste. With that being said, while it doesn’t waste our time it does rush through some important back story that the film was lacking. Regardless, I enjoyed it and think most horror fans will as well. The acting in this one is great. The cast is very small but the two work very well together. The characters have contrasting personalities which really works with the story while giving the cast a strong foundation to work with. The story for this one is very straight forward and works for the short run time we have but I would have loved to see more back story. Both characters were more than cliched horror fodder and seeing more about them and what is really going on. Its fun as is but would make one hell of a feature length film. Finally, the film has a little bit of blood but those of you with the taste for blood and gore will not be satisfied with this one. However, if a film more focused on characters is more your speed then you will appreciate this one. Overall, Real Cool Time is an effective short that would work as a feature. I seriously enjoyed it but I can’t stop thinking about the what ifs with this one. Check it out

No comments:

Post a Comment