Thursday, December 28, 2023

Beyond the Wall of Fear


Director - Joe Sherlock (Drifter, Odd Noggins)
Starring - Tonjia Atomic (Thingz, Scarecrow County), John Bowker (Twisted Fates, Axegrinder 3), and Tom Griffith (The Alien Factor, Nightbeast)
Release Date - 2016
Genre - Horror
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     My Skullface Astronaut marathon is in full force as I move on to my second film on the list of films he sent over titled Beyond the Wall of Fear. While I assume there is some order that I should be watching them, I’m just too lazy to do the research to make sure I watch them in order. I will say that I was a big fan of Drifter and couldn’t wait to dig into this horror anthology from 2016. 
      The film begins with a woman who is having horrible nightmares and when she dies of fear it is revealed her torment was orchestrated by a man in black. The second tale follows two men who is searching for something and uncovers an evil older than man himself. The third story follows a man and his dog going for a walk while something lurking out of sight is on the hunt for something. The fourth tale follows a writing looking for inspiration who finds herself in some sort of Lovecraftian nightmare. We then round the film out with four more tales involving a couple on a date, witches, a drug addled individual, and people who become ravenous after becoming infected by an unknown agent. 
      I had no idea that Beyond the Wall of Fear was an anthology but I’m always open to checking them out when they are sent my way. I grew up on Creepshow, Tales from the Darkside: The Movie, Twilight Zone: The Movie, and From a Whisper to a Scream so I always go into a new one excited. I went into this one with my normal enthusiasm for indie horror but if I would have known it was an anthology I would have been a bit more excited. Regardless, I enjoyed the film but some of the segments were better than others. The acting in this one is inconsistent but not bad. Much like Drifter, the cast is really into their roles. They are fully invested in the film and deliver the best performances they can. Inexperience is evident but I loved the energy and the cavalcade of characters that we are given. The stories for this one is inconsistent but as an overall film they work. It’s hard to find an anthology where every segment is consistent so it’s to be expected. With that being said, I’m a huge fan of how this was set up to look like a late night cable production. I grew up on shows like USA Up All Night and MonsterVision so seeing a film attempt that look and feel really brought me back. Finally, the film is a no budget production and the effects clearly show that. They do the best with what they have and I enjoy it. I’ve always had a soft spot for indie cinema and seeing diy effects on screen has always been something that I’ve been impressed by. It shows a lot of creativity and ingenuity. They may not always look the best but they are still passionate about what they do. Overall, Beyond the Wall of Fear is an entertaining indie horror film with beautiful women in the buff and some enjoyable stories. Some are better than others but they all are worth the time. Check it out

No comments:

Post a Comment