Monday, January 1, 2024

Odd Noggins


Director - Joe Sherlock (Thingz, Dark Zone Thirteen)
Starring - Melody Berg (Things 666, Axegrinder 3), Juniper Bloodraven (Strange Things Happen at the Weird House), and John Bowker (Odder Noggins, Topless Tori's Tomb of Terror)
Release Date - 2015
Genre - Horror/Sci-Fi/Comedy
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I’m moving into the fourth film in my Skullface Astronaut marathon and I’m having an absolute blast. While Drifter is my favorite film of Joe Sherlock’s so far, I would be lying if I said I didn’t like them all. I’m a huge of indie horror and when you toss in monsters, beautiful women in the nude, blood, more beautiful women in the nude, aliens, and men in black then you are cooking with gas as my dad would say. After binging Drifter, Channel 99, and Beyond the Wall of Fear, I was ready for the next film on the list. This film, Odd Noggins, is one I had heard about for some time but never had the opportunity to see it. Like always, I want to thank filmmaker Joe Sherlock for sending this one over for review. 
      The film follows a small town who finds themselves watching a sci-fi film about aliens. 
      Nothing unusual about this but things take a strange turn when everyone is getting ready for a Halloween party and the women start killing the men before leaving on a space ship. Odd Noggins may be the more popular title from the Skullface Astronaut catalogue but it’s not my favorite. I did like it for what it was but it’s not a title I would pick to re-watch. It was fun and entertaining Skullface film but it’s not without it’s own faults. While I did like it I will admit that it’s easily the weakest of the four films I’ve seen. The acting in this one is what I was expecting. We have more beautiful women in the nude and a bunch of memorable characters portrayed by people with little to no credits on their imdb pages. I liked the casting and the energy but the dialogue is awkward at times and it’s clear that many of them have never been in front of the camera before. The story for this one is entertaining but could be better. I liked the idea of people watching a sci-fi flick on cable only to have their lives become a sci-fi story themselves. We have the women killing the men before moving to a space ship and blasting off. While I did like this aspect I’m more confused as to why this happened. Did the movie brainwash the females or were they merely aliens transplants that were finally ordered to kill? The movie doesn’t do itself any favors with the way it tells the story. It leaves so many questions unanswered. Finally, the film has some alright practical effects and no budget visuals. The kills are enjoyable in a comical way and the visuals are rough but that only adds to the charm of the film. Overall, Odd Noggins is another solid entry in the Skullface Astronaut catalogue. It’s deserves a watch but could be a lot more enjoyable if the story was a little more tighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment