Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Lycan Colony


Director - Rob Roy (American Werewolf, Damaged Disciples)
Starring - Sean Burgoyne, Kadrolsha Ona Carole (Morbius, Halloween Kills), and Libby Collins (Thunderstruck, The Knick)
Release Date - 2006
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Leave them alone"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     It's been a long time since I've reviewed a werewolf flick. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did. I think my last werewolf review was for the Visual Vengeance release Moonchild but I could be mistaken. That brings me to another Visual Vengeance release that was sent my way to review which just happens to be the werewolf horror film Lycan Colony. Like always, I want to thank Wild Eye and Visual Vengeance for their continued support. 
      The film follows a doctor who just moved to a small town and befriends a sibling pair looking for their father that went missing in the area while on a hunting trip. They quickly discover that the small town is inhabited by werewolves that have built a safe haven for themselves and were threatened by the arrival of the hunters. Now they are fighting for their lives as the werewolves attempt to kill anyone that knows their secret. 
      I went into Lycan Colony excited to see an indie werewolf film, but it was quickly evident that I was not going to enjoy it. I liked the idea behind this one and actually enjoyed the acting, but the execution was all wrong. The movie struggled to find its footing and slips even further away from being enjoyable with the creature design. I seriously wanted to like this one, but it was difficult to finish. The acting in this one was a little awkward at times but very enjoyable, especially when you consider how little experience some of the cast have. They are fully dedicated to their roles and do a great job getting into character. The characters may not be that well written or developed but that's not their fault. The story for this one has a very interesting premise that I could get behind. A small town of werewolves sounds absolutely fascinating. It's like a werewolf version of Children of the Night and Sundown: The Vampires of Retreat. This is a concept that had my full support but failed to meet its full potential. It's a town where werewolves try to live normal lives until a group of hunters get too close. However, the story is turned into a game of cat and mouse that goes on for far too long. It's extremely dull and repetitive which turns into a chore to finish. Finally, the film has some light make up effects and the worst looking werewolf I've seen in film history. Many years ago, I reviewed the no budget horror film Werewolf of Ohio which featured a werewolf wearing a cheap knock off mask of the original Wolfman. I would have rather seen this than the weird felt dog looking mask the werewolves wore. A lot of indie films dodge werewolves due to budget restraints and maybe the filmmakers should have this one as well. Overall, Lycan Colony has a lot of promise but fails to pull it all together to create something enjoyable. I wanted to like this one but it was extremely difficult to finish. Visual Vengeance has released some seriously underrated titles, but this is not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment