Monday, May 27, 2024

Caddy Hack


Director - Anthony Catanese (Hi-Fear, Girls Just Wanna Have Blood)
Starring - Dana Ackerman (Girls Just Wanna Have Blood), Max Alcarado (Bikini Watch, I Love You Sabado!!!), and Joe Biedron 
Release Date - 2023
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Welcome to a hole new world of horror!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Many years ago, I was introduced to director, musician, and graphic designer Anthony Catanese when he was working on his horror comedy Sodomaniac. A slasher about a killer wearing an ass mask was a movie I couldn't pass up. I befriended him on social media and followed the project the best I could and one day my patience paid off when Anthony hit me up to review the finished project. I was hooked on his style of filmmaking from that point forward and since then I've been lucky enough to review Hi-Death, Girls Just Wanna Have Blood and Hi-Fear. Sometime back my friends over at Wild Eye Releasing sent me their blu release of his horror comedy Caddy Hack. I wasn't able to check it out right away, but I worked it into my watch list to watch as soon as I could. Like always, I want to thank Wild Eye for sending this one over! 
      The film follows a struggling golf course on the eve of a big event when the caddies are forced to hunt down and kill groundhogs that have been mutated by the dimwitted groundskeeper. Now they are bloodthirsty and will stop at nothing to maul anyone caught on their golf course. 
      I absolutely love Anthony's sense of humor. I feel like we were raised on the same television shows and movies which left a lasting impression on us. Sodomaniac and Girls Just Wanna Have Blood are great additions to two sub-genres that I love. While slashers are always popular, vampire films don't get the love they deserve in the post-Twilight world. However, he took the risk with Girls Just Wanna Have Blood, and it paid off. I knew it was going to be a good time when I saw that Wild Eye was releasing a horror parody of Caddyshack from him and I was right. I absolutely loved Caddy Hack and I'm glad I was able to finally check it out. The acting in this one was very enjoyable. The cast makes up for inexperience by making their characters larger than life. They have big personalities and bring a ton of energy to each scene. I love the characters and this cast does one hell of a job bringing them to life in front of the camera. The story for this one is a fun parody/tribute to the classic comedy Caddyshack. I love that the groundhogs are mutated by a fertilizer created by an idiot. It's such a simple spin on a well-known comedy that works for the premise of the film. The movie makes great use of its run time, has great pacing, and the comedic timing is spot on. The comedy works in a Troma sort of way, which is something I really enjoy. Finally, the film has a lot of great practical effects and a few visual effects. The film has a few amazing gags but isn't that gory. The effects for these gags work but the visual effects used stand out. Overall, Caddy Hack is a fantastic horror parody that genre fans will truly enjoy. If you grew up on 80s media, then this film is for you. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment