Sunday, September 22, 2024

The Right Hand of the Devil


Director - Aram Katcher (I Dream of Jeannie, Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens)
Starring - Aram Katcher, Lisa McDonald, and Brad Trumbull (A Gathering of Eagles, The Longshot)
Release Date - 1963
Genre - Crime
Tagline - "The most Satanic plot since "Diabolique"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):




     I get a lot of films in for review that I've never heard of before which only peaks my curiosity of said films.  I love going into a movie completely blind with no preconceived notions about them.  Recently I was sent a copy of Film Master's Door to Door Maniac.  This 1961 crime thriller starred country legend Johnny Cash and was every bit as entertaining as I had hoped.  The released included another early 60s crime film that I had never heard of before.  The film, 1963's The Right Hand of the Devil, featured the tagline "The most Satanic plot since "Diabolique" which really made my imagination work overtime.  As soon as I finished Door to Door Maniac I quickly tossed in The Right Hand of the Devil!
     The film follows a criminal mastermind that put together a plan to rob a racetrack.  He begins by putting together a small team and then seducing the older teller at the track to get access.  Once he has her head over hills for him he he sets out to rob them.  Once done he celebrates with his team where he poisons them to tie up any loose ends along with disposing of the teller.  He then packs up all the money and flees to Rio to live the high life until someone from the crime unexpectedly appears.  
     I was very curious about this one after seeing that tagline and I honestly enjoyed it.  I noticed that it was directed by and starring Katcher which made it very clear that it was a vanity project.  The movie is essentially a criminal mastermind that is always two steps ahead and is smooth with the ladies finds his next score and pulls it off with a little twist near the end.  Yea, a vanity project for sure.  The acting in this one is very enjoyable.  Katcher himself carries the film and he makes sure he doesn't shorten himself any screen time.  I really like his character and how arrogant and intelligent he is.  He does a wonderful job bringing him to life and the film would not be near as fun as it is if this character wasn't so flamboyant.  The supporting cast does a fantastic job as well but they are nowhere near the same level as Katcher's.  The story for this one is very forward and you can see the twist ending coming a mile away but I'm sure it was rather clever for an early 60's crime drama.  It's not as dark as I was hoping for but the level of detail that went into the heist and so on was actually very impressive.  I would have loved to see a much bigger twist but I respect the one we do have.  Finally, the film does have some make-up effects but if you want some blood and gore then you will be disappointed here.  Overall, The Right Hand of the Devil was a surprisingly enjoyable bonus film in this set.  While the plot was not "satanic" by any means, it was still fun.  I highly recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment