Starring - Duilio Del Prete (Dagger Eyes, About That Strange Girl), Karina Huff (Time for Loving, The Gamble), and Pascal Persiano (Demons 2, Paganini Horror)
Release Date - 1991
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "In the tradition of H.P. Lovecraft"
Format - UHD (Personal Collection) (Screener)
Rating (out of 5):
I spent a lot of my time in high school watching the horror films of Lucio Fulci. It started with his biggest hit stateside, Zombie. This Italian sequel to Dawn of the Dead started it all for me. My friend was absolutely obsessed with his work and over the next couple of years we would watch some seriously amazing movies like The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, House by the Cemetery, and The New York Ripper to name a few. When I was in college I found the DVD for Voices from Beyond for a reasonable price. I watched it and enjoyed it but it wasn't as memorable as some of the previous films I had seen from Fulci. Regardless, it was a decent watch and when Severin announced their new release of the film on UHD I quickly jumped at the chance to revisit it. I want to thank Severin for sending this one over for review.
The film follows Rosie (Huff) who visits her late father's estate after his unexpected death. Her estranged family is bickering over who will inherit what but after the reading of the will they discover that Rosie inherited it all. Things go strange as Rosie starts hearing her late father from the grave as he tries to help his daughter find his killer.
Voices from Beyond is a lot of fun but it's nothing like the heavy hitters Fulci released before this one. It's atmospheric and eerie for those wanting a late night fright but it doesn't stand out for those familiar with Fulci and his horror hits. The acting in this one is very well done and probably the best acted horror title in Fulci's filmography. The characters are not that well written and it's hard to like many of them but the cast does a phenomenal job in their roles. The story for this one is a supernatural forward tale that focuses more on the mystery aspect of the murder than the murder itself. It moves slowly and takes it's time to build tension and atmosphere which I do appreciate. With that being said, it does feel more like a supernatural murder mystery than a horror tale which may be one of the reasons this one doesn't get the love that other Fulci films get. Finally, we get some great make-up effects and some props that look great but those looking for the memorable deaths and amazing gore will be very disappointed. The movie focuses more on the father/daughter relationship and the mystery around his mother more than the effects. Overall, Voices from Beyond is an often overlooked Lucio Fulci film but it is a solid film. It's not the bloodiest or goriest film but the effects look great and the story works. Check it out now on UHD from Severin.



No comments:
Post a Comment