Monday, October 20, 2014

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)



(out of 5)

Halloween 4:  The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
directed by:  Dwight H. Little
starring:  Donald Pleasence, Ellie Cornell, Danielle Harris, George Wilbur, Beau Starr, Michael Pataki, Sasha Jenson, Kathleen Kinmont
Format:  Personal Collection  NTSC:  Region 1




     What is it that keeps me coming back to this film year after year?  Some years I watch it more than once being that it always seems to be the early movie with 5 in September some time.  I mean 4 and 5 just pretty much say, "fuck you!" to the originals and go their own way with the story.  Not to mention the fact that both Michael and Dr. Loomis were burned up in part 2 in such a manner that Loomis most assuredly would be dead or a hideous freak to say the very least.  But Moustapha Akkad had to have his way and continue his slasher series after the bombing of Part III:  Season of the Witch, which is far better than any sequel past it.  See my review of that film for reasoning there. 
     Part 4 continues after Michael has spent another ten years in an insane asylum.  That was until one of his doctors mentions he has a niece that of course lives in Haddonfield.  So Michael escapes during a transfer and another Halloween slaughter ensues.  Michael finds his way back to his hometown in search of young Jamie Lloyd who is played by the now gorgeous Danielle Harris who I still see as the little girl from these movies everytime I see her face no matter how sexy the picture is haha. 
     The thing with this movie for me is I watched it so much when it first came out because it was right around the time I really started being allowed to watch rated-R flicks and of course at that first Halloween I just started watching them all.  Before I had only seen the first one because in my house scary movies were a norm just not the way my norm is now.  So it's a sentimental kind of thing.  One is and always will be the best for me and two is the scariest in my opinion but as far as the Haloween Myers movies go 4 and 5 have a definite special place. 

     They are bad.  The acting is so-so with everyone but Danielle and of course Donald Pleasance but the writing, directing, editing, etc. is bad.  In this one you even have a blonde Michael Myers which has been put off as they were trying a new mask but I have never read that anywhere in the past before the facebook experts started jawing but who knows either way it's a terrible idea and even worse...why would you even make or buy one like that knowing what you're doing.  I love change I don't need everything to stay the same but come on a blonde Michael Myers?  It's only in there for one small scene but unforgettable to say the least.  Michael is pretty unstoppable in this one and takes out an entire police station full of cops which is a scene I most sorely miss not having in the movie.  You just get to see glimses of the after effect.

     So love it or hate it I don't care this one and it's predecessor will always be awesomely bad to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment