Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Nurse Sherri


Director - Al Adamson (Blood of Dracula's Castle, Horror of the Blood Monsters)
Starring - Geoffrey Land (Doctor Dracula, Redneck Miller), Jill Jacobson (Quantum Leap, Freddy's Nightmares), and Marilyn Joi (Satan's Princess, Coffy)
Release Date - 1978
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Meet Sherri - for an evening of pleasure and terror"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Every October I over do it with Halloween themed movies and before the 31st I'm so sick of Halloween that I immediately start preparing for Christmas which is my second favorite holiday.  This year I decided to pace myself and not start my typical Halloween viewing until closer to time.  I decided to venture into the sleazy world of Vinegar Syndrome and remembered that I had two horror flicks of theirs on deck to review anyway.  The first in this double feature is the Al Adamson directed Nurse Sherri also known as Killer's Curse.  This was one I was curious about checking out considering it was directed by Al Adamson and followed a preacher who possesses a nurse.  Sounds like a good time to me.  I want to thank Vin Syn for sending this one my way!
     The film follows a cult leader who believes himself to be "infinite" while medical doctor's knowledge is "finite."  When he refuses treatment until the last moment he dies from cardiac arrest on the operating table.  His spirit jumps from his body into the body of Nurse Sherri (Jacobson) where he/she starts hunting down those that did the preacher wrong.  When Sherri's lover, the hospital doctor, notices how peculiar she is behaving he calls her out on it resulting in the preacher revealing himself to him.  He partners with the other nurses at the hospital and tries to exorcise the spirit from their friend.
     Nurse Sherri is not a perfect film.  Hell, in all fairness I can't call it a good film.  It's bad in almost every way but you can't deny how much fun you have watching it.  The film is one of the few I would consider so bad it's good which is a term I typically refuse to use but it fits here.  The acting in this one is very well done.  I really enjoyed Jill Jacobson's performance.  Her role was very technical and was not straight forward.  Her character changes so much through the course of the film and she does a great job at bringing those changes to the screen.  The supporting cast is solid as well.  They do a great job at moving the story along and sharing the spotlight.  The story for this one has so much potential but fails to fully pull it all together.  A film following a cult leader/preacher possessing an attractive nurse sending her on a bloody rampage is pretty fucking fun.  The film takes awhile to get going and once it does it has a hard time finding it's footing.  The story almost feels as if it was written while filming or the editing butchered it.  The film has several slower scenes that are a little difficult to watch.  Finally, the film doesn't really have a lot of gore, or blood or that matter, but does deliver some fun kills.  The effects are minimal but the pitchfork scene will always be my favorite!  Overall, Nurse Sherri is butchered all to hell but is a fun late night viewing with some beer and stale chips.  Check this one out!




No comments:

Post a Comment