Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Demonic


Director - Will Canon (Brotherhood, Air Jesus)
Starring - Maria Bello (The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, Max Steel), Frank Grillo (Poltergeist: The Legacy, The Purge: Anarchy), and Cody Horn (Rescue Me, Magic Mike)
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Every house has it's secrets"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I've watched a few awesome movies the last few days.  The Night Shift wasn't the kind of film I expected and it let me down greatly but I refused to let that one bring me down.  Since then I've saw some pretty awesome Full Moon flicks along with an awesome short.  As I looked for the next movie to check out I decided to go with the 2015 supernatural flick Demonic.  The film was recently released on DVD and sent my way to review.  The film is produced by modern horror master James Wan so there was hope for this one.  Thanks for sending it my way!
     The film follows a group of twenty-somethings that venture to an abandoned house that was once the site or a horrible massacre.  They hope to make a paranormal documentary and attempt a sĂ©ance but what they don't know is that the mother of one of them was actually the only survivor of the massacre all those years before and an evil presence has now been unleashed.  Now the evil has possessed one of them and will not stop until they are all dead.

   
     I didn't know what to expect from Demonic but I was going to be open-minded.  Sadly, the film just wasn't that entertaining and was very predictable.  The acting in this one is not that great.  The cast has no dedication to their role which makes several of the scenes almost laughable.  Scott Mechlowicz had me in stitches.  His performance as a hard ass ex-boyfriend was so preposterous that I couldn't help but laugh.  This was a clear case of bad casting.  This man is as intimidating at my three year old daughter and seeing him portray this type of character made the film almost look like a parody of haunted house flicks.  The story for this one is very predictable and unoriginal.  There has been so many stories of a group of young adults summoning a demon in an abandoned home.  Immediately my mind goes to Evil Dead.  This film is not like that, however, because it tries to feel more like The Conjuring instead of being campy.  The story moves at a snails pace and has a hard time holding the viewer's attention.  Finally, if you want blood you wont find it here.  There is a little but not enough to drown the thirst.  The practical effects are limited but there was some solid computer generated effects that I was not suspecting. Overall, Demonic was a let down.  Visually, it looked fantastic but you need more to a movie than that. 




No comments:

Post a Comment