Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Day After Halloween


Director - Simon Wincer (The Phantom, Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man)
Starring - Sigrid Thornton (#7DaysLater, The Pact), Chantal Contouri (Thirst, Offspring), and Robert Bruning (Ned Kelly, The Outsiders)
Release Date - 1979
Genre - Drama/Thriller
Tagline - "It started with a glamour shot...and ended with murder"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I get a lot of cool movies in to check out.  Sometimes these movies are fascinating and other times they are turds on film.  I'm grateful when anyone asks me to review a film but sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve such hostilities after sitting through a smoking gun.  One company that always sends quality stuff my way is Vinegar Syndrome.  I never know what is going to show up in the mail box but I do know I will be entertained when I see that Vin Syn address on it.  Sometime back Vin Syn sent over the film Snapshot, aka The Day After Halloween.  This looked like a fun watch.  After I finished Demon Wind I decided to go ahead and toss it in and see what I was getting myself into.  Thanks once again Vin Syn for sending this one my way.
     The film follows Angela (Thornton).  Angela is a hairdresser who befriends the beautiful Madeline (Contouri) who helps her break free from living payday to payday and into the world of modeling.  She recently broke up with her boyfriend and agrees to the new venture.  Her family turns their back on her and her ex becomes obsessive.  Often following her as she meets up with business partners and potential employers.  After receiving the head of a pig as a gift she suspects that her ex may turn to murder but quickly learns she has a stalker in the modeling community.
     When I got Snapshot I had no idea what to expect from this film.  The reversible sleeve and alternative title suggested to me that it was an erotic slasher.  That was not the case.  The film was sexy but not as sleazy as I was thinking (or hoping for).  Instead, it was a cold drama that plays out until it becomes a strong thriller.  The acting in this is great.  I really enjoyed the cast.  Sigrid Thornton was fantastic as the reluctant model turned center of attention.  She is gorgeous and delivers an emotional performance.  I also enjoyed Chantal Contouri.  This is the first film I've seen of hers but god damn will I be looking for more.  Wow.  The story for this one flows more like a drama until the film's end segment until it takes on great thriller qualities.  The film gets very dark and our star's future is uncertain.  I liked the way the film flows and the story it tells.  Finally, if you are looking for blood you wont find it here.  If you want skin and a great story you came to the right place.  Overall, Snapshot is a fantastic film.  Parts drama and parts thriller that will entertain.  Check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment