Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Absolute Zombies


Director - Johnny Markussen (God, Xombies 3D)
Release Date - 2015
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Welcome to the End of the World"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5)

     Growing up I was very into zombie flicks.  Romero's Dawn of the Dead sealed my fate and forever made me a fan of the sub-genre.  Since then I have adopted Night of the Living Dead as my favorite zombie flick and most of my youth was spent checking out zombie flicks.  It started with renting them on tape from the local video store.  I would get movies like Romero's Day of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Comet, Night of the Creeps, and Re-Animator.  When DVD took over I still found myself grabbing zombie flicks like the Dawn remake, Dead and Breakfast, Shaun of the Dead, Meat Market, and so on.  I still love zombie flicks but now the market is over saturated and the fun is almost zapped out of it.  Sometime ago my friends over at Wild Eye released the indie zombie flick Absolute Zombies and they were kind enough to send a copy my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film is set in a world where the dead walks the Earth.  The living is few and far in between and a fighting each other for resources.  We follow two former lovers who band together to survive while on the run from two sadistic killers who kill everything in sight.

   



     Wow.  That is about all I can say about this one.  Absolute Zombies is unique and that is putting it lightly.  The film does stand out from most no budget zombie flicks but does standing out actually make it a good movie?  The acting in this one is laughable.  The cast goes two different ways.  The film's leads is serious about their roles which does not fit the style of the film.  With that said, some of the other characters are very over-dramatic and goofy which really fit the style of the film.  The cast is caught somewhere between a traditional horror film and a Troma production.  The story for this one is pretty straight forward and simple which would usually work for a no budget zombie flick but the execution of this one makes it difficult to follow.  Finally, this one does not shy away from the carnage.  The film showcases some gory no budget deaths with the effects associated with the film's budget.  The film also uses visual effects that are on par with early 90s video games.  This make the film look at lot cheaper than what it was.  Without this it would have felt like a spinoff of Meat Market.  Overall, Absolute Zombies is a rough one to watch unless you expect the worst.  After just a few moments I knew exactly what kind of movie this is and one I would recommend to anyone who plans on watching movies all night while drinking.  If you want a well put together zombie flick to watch while sober this one will not be for you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment