Friday, February 9, 2018

The Resurrected


Director - Dan O'Bannon (Blood Bath, Return of the Living Dead)
Starring - John Terry (Zodiac, Full Metal Jacket), Jane Sibbett (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Quantum Leap), and Chris Sarandon (Child's Play, Fright Night)
Release Date - 1991
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Death used to be the end.  Now its the beginning"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I've collected movies in one form or another for almost 25 years.  When I was around 5 my dad started buying me tapes.  I really started collecting when Jurassic Park was released.  I had several tapes at that time but when that film was released I became obsessed.  Soon Goosebumps was filling my shelves.  Every time a new tape was released I rushed to K-Mart to get it.  This quickly spiraled out of control when I was a teenager.  I would have friends order stuff from eBay and I would frequent video stores that was closing.  When DVDs became a thing I was hooked on those as well and had to find them anywhere I can.  All this collecting has lead my many different places and over the years I've heard about awesome movies that are hard to track down.  One of those movies was Dan O'Bannon's The Resurrected from 1991.  This was one I had only seen online for stupid prices.  Lucky for me Scream Factory recently released the film on blu.  I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send a copy my way.
     The film follows the beautiful Claire (Sibbett) who seeks out the help of private investigator John March (Terry) to help her track down her husband.  He left her one night when they were hosting a party after recently discovering that he is related to an alchemist from the 1700s.  Their investigation takes them to a family home that has been in their possession for centuries.  It is here that they find him and his search for immortality that has come at a deadly price.
     Several friends in the horror community told me how awesome this film was but I never could find a copy for a reasonable price.  This only made me want to watch it even more and when I discovered that it was an adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward I was already in love with the film.  The acting in this one is fantastic.  Chris Sarandon takes on a very demanding role portraying very different personalities.  His performance is intense at times and makes you look at him in a different light if you are accustomed to seeing him in Fright Night.  I really liked the casting of John Terry as the lead.  His personality is very charming and the viewer can really see themselves rooting for him to survive.  The story for this one is loosely adapted from H.P. Lovecraft's short but O'Bannon and company does a terrific job at modernizing it.  The film has amazing pacing and the story is very enthralling.  The film does an amazing job at character development and establishing backstories.  Finally, this one is surprisingly horrific.  The film doesn't have that many on screen kills but the creature effects are fucking fantastic.  I love monster movies from the 80s and this 1991 flick does an amazing job at creating that look.  Overall, The Resurrected is one of the better Lovecraft adaptions.  The film is the perfect late night creature feature to play alongside Re-Animator.  Do yourself a favor and check it out.  




No comments:

Post a Comment