Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Before I Die


Director(s) - The Brothers Freeman
Starring - Robert McKeehen (Cell Count, Grimm), Michael J. Prosser (Grimm, Management), and Nouel Riel (City Baby, John Gets Wasted)
Release Date - 2016
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Fear thy neighbor"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I've reviewed a fair bit of movies the last few weeks.  I may not have time to post them daily but I have been able to review several films everyday.  That is a hell of a bit of writing.  I've reviewed some fantastic horror flicks, some amazing horror flicks, and even a few sci-fi flicks.  Sadly, I have reviewed several turds that snuck in here and there.  After watching the fantastic I'm Dreaming of a White Doomsday and the surprisingly good Hellraiser: Judgment I went with a film I wanted to skip but couldn't.  I watched Jeepers Creepers 3 and was not a fan.  I decided to step away from traditional horror and checked out the religious thriller Before I Die.  This one was sent my way from the great folks at MVD.  Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to check it out!
     The film follows a family that moves into a sleepy town when the father is hired on to preach at the local church.  They get settled in and in no time they are making friends and becoming a pillar of the community.  As preacher of the church he has helped several families overcome rough patches and troubles.  One family in particular has a teenage girl that is refusing to listen to her parents so the preacher and his family take her in for a few weeks to help her get her life back in order.  The problem she is facing comes from her older boyfriend who is obsessed with her.  With Halloween approaching he needs her more than ever and soon the preacher will find out why.
     I was expecting a lot of drama with very little thrills and for the most part I was right.  With that being said, Before I Die was able to build up some great tension and suspense that I was not expecting delivering a very entertaining watch.  The acting in this one is solid.  The entire cast does a solid job in their role and no one outshines the other.  The cast does a great job making their characters well grounded and genuine.  The cast is able to craft natural conversations that doesn't feel forced or awkward to watch.  Most films like this have forced conversation that is awkward to watch.  The cast in this one does an amazing job.  The story for this one is a slow burner but uses it's time wisely.  We get several characters that have layers while some of the minor characters are flat but it works to the film's advantage.  The story itself it predictable but it uses well developed characters and storytelling to stand out.  Finally, those of you looking for blood wont find any here.  The film relies heavily on the story and tension it builds instead of blood and guts.  Overall, Before I Die is not a violent horror film but it is stylish and entertaining.  If you are looking for a darker horror film without guts you may want to check this one out.




No comments:

Post a Comment