Monday, March 12, 2018

Thor: Ragnarok


Director - Taika Waititi (What We Do in the Shadows, The Inbetweeners)
Starring -  Chris Hemsworth (Thor, Cabin in the Woods), Tom Hiddleston (Kong: Skull Island, Crimson Peak), and Cate Blanchett (The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, Hot Fuzz)
Release Date - 2017
Genre - Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi/Comedy
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     When it comes to comics I'm considered a weird duck.  I don't care for Superman and Batman but I do like the movies based on the character.  My favorite characters in the DC world is Green Lantern and Flash.  In fact, these two characters are my two favorite characters hands down.  However, when I talk about Marvel I find it difficult to pick a favorite.  I'm partial to Doctor Strange, Howard Duck, and a few other oddballs characters.  When Marvel released The Incredible Hulk a few years back I knew they would eventually get around to a Thor flick but I was concerned how they would handle it.  After that first film I find myself getting excited every time they announce a new Thor film.  The first two films in the Thor series is fantastic and when news of the third film was announced I almost pissed myself.  With the film recently released on home video I reached out and was able to get a review copy of the film.  I'm glad I did because this is the best Thor film yet.
     The film follows Thor and his brother Loki who are kicked from Asgard when their unknown sister Hela is released from her imprisonment after the death of their father Odin.  She starts killing those that are not loyal to her and sets her sights on ruling the galaxy.  Thor is sent to the trash planet Sakaar.  The Grandmaster plans on using Thor to fight the planet's champion Hulk but when Thor gets the upper hand on Hulk the fight is sabotaged and Thor loses.  Thor is put in Hulks chambers where they are prisoners of The Grandmaster.  Hulk loves his new life but Thor has to leave and get back to his people on Asgard.  He soon learns that Loki is on Sakaar and plans an escape with Hulk, Loki, and Valkyrie a former Valkyrior of Odin who once fought Hela.  When they arrive they find a small resist of Asgardians fighting but soon realize that Hela is no match for them.  Thor and the others try to rescue his people before invoking Ragnarok which will put an end to Hela and Asgard.
     The Thor films are some of my favorite in the MCU.  Antman and Doctor Strange will always be my favorite films so far but Thor holds his own.  With the Thor films each one has improved over the other with Ragnarok topping the other two.  Sadly, with the release of Guardians of the Galaxy the film doesn't really feel like a Thor film.  The acting in this one is great.  Hemsworth once again kills it as Thor.  In the world of Hollywood and blockbusters Hemsworth is a name I normally don't mention.  He's far from my favorite actor but I couldn't imagine anyone else representing the character on screen.  Hiddleston reprises his role of Loki and once again establishes himself as one of the more entertaining characters in the MCU.  His performance is award winning.  He can be sinister when need be and delivers some well time laughs when the film calls for it.  My favorite performance, at least voice acted, belonged to director Taika Waititi who voiced Korg who became the film's breakout character.  This character was fantastic and literally made the most dire and dramatic scenes shine with laughter.  The story for this one does feel like the story of Thor was tossed into a blender with Guardians of the Galaxy and Planet Hulk.  It works well but could have honestly just been another Guardians film with the guardians replacing the Asgardians.  I would prefer a more tradition Thor film but this one is not bad.  The film has a lot of action, bold story, and humor is everywhere.  Finally, the film is a visual feast.  The film uses an impressive amount of practical effects.  Some of the creatures, weapons, sets, and so on look fantastic.  The film also showcases some great visual effects.  Some are better than others.  Some of the effects are mesmerizing while others stand out like a sore thumb (whatever that really means).  Overall, Thor: Ragnarok is another fantastic entry in the MCU.  The film looks amazing and brazenly took the God of Lightning and put him in the middle of one of the most epic space films of recent years.  Check it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment