Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Cars 3


Director - Bobby Hacker (Betmax, All the Wrong Reasons)
Starring - Bobby Hacker, Tyler Jones, and Richard Bain
Release Date - 2009
Genre(s) - Action/Comedy
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     I decided to get an early jump on Tromatic Thursday.  I really want to post a Troma review every Thursday but the last two week made it difficult and I almost missed my deadline.  This week I tried to get a head start on it.  I was working through my collection of Troma flicks when I remembered I purchased the cleverly titled Cars 3 sometime ago on Amazon and never opened it.  As you can tell, this Cars 3 is not the Disney/Pixar film.  Instead, it is a movie directed by Bobby Hacker based on the popularity of his YouTube Cars series where he portrays a car salesman.
     The film follows Tim who is a sleazy cars salesman who almost lost his used car lot.  After a failed series of commercials and a rock band he makes a deal with the devil.  He is given supernatural powers and the gift of sale and in one year the devil gets his soul if he cant sale a Mercury Topaz.  With his final days winding down he sets out to force anyone on his lot to purchase the car before he loses his soul.
   

     I had no idea what this movie was about but I had watched a trailer sometime ago and knew I would love it.  The trailer does not do this film justice.  This one was of the craziest movie experiences I have ever had and that is why I love Troma.  The acting in this one is batshit crazy and over the top.  Bobby Hacker is completely ridiculous but his over the top performance makes the film what it is.  The supporting cast takes their rolls a little more seriously but Hacker's performance is so outlandish that it makes the film worth watching.  The story for this one is fun and works for a short but the short running time is disheartening.  I was expecting a feature length running time but was given a film barely running 30 minutes.  The story fills the 30 minutes very well but I was expecting more.  I loved what Hacker brought to the table and this only makes me even more excited for more Troma and how unique they are.  Finally, this film is a visual feast.  The visual effects are cheap and low grade but they are done to capture that cheap local commercial look.  This worked very well where the film doesn't take itself too seriously.  There is some blood but it is using the same visual style as the rest of the film.  Overall, Cars 3 is balls to the wall anarchy on film.  I can't recommend this film enough.  Check it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment