Saturday, June 9, 2018

Mohawk


Director - Ted Geoghegan (We Are Still Here)
Starring - Kaniehtiio Horn (Hemlock Grove, Immortals), Ezra Buzzington (Fight Club, The Hills Have Eyes), and Eamon Farren (Twin Peaks, Chained)
Release Date - 2017
Genre - Action/Horror
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I have a lot of ground to cover to dig myself out of the whole I created.  The death of my laptop and the birth of my daughter has put a strain on my time.  I returned to work after taking a week off but when I return home I now have three children that want attention from Daddy.  I also have a wife that is recovering from the procedure so I have to help with Mommy duties until she is ready to rule the roost so to speak.  I recently started on a Mondo Macabro marathon when I tossed in the 1991 Russian horror film Spider.  As I prepared for the giallo The Fox with the Velvet Tail I was reminded by my wife that the film Mohawk had arrived for review.  I dropped the ball with this release and left it in the car for several weeks.  Now was the perfect time to check it out before I got balls deep in erotic horror from Mondo.

     The film takes place in America during the War of 1812.  American settlers have sparked a war with the British forcing the Native Americans to pick sides.  One tribe, the Mohawks, tried to remain neutral but a British diplomat and solider falls in love with a female Mohawk warrior.  He convinces her lover to join the side of the British.  At night he burns a camp and kills most of the soldiers leaving behind seven pissed off soldiers are now tearing through the wilderness in search of them.
     I was expecting a violent and bloody film in the same line as Bone Tomahawk but was not greeted with such a film.  The film was still a great watch but the ferocity was not there.  The acting in this one is fantastic.  The film's top performances belonged to Kaniehtiio Horn and Ezra Buzzington.  Horn delivered one hell of a performance that was amazing to watch.  It was physically demanding and she does a stellar job.  Buzzington's performance is nothing short of intense.  I loved to hate his character and he did a fantastic job bringing it to life.  The story for this one is not consistent but still goes the distance.   The first half of the film does a great job at establishing the story and creating backstories for the characters.  Once the action starts we enter a rather bland story that lacks the action and suspense that the film was going for.  The kills and fights were rather boring and the story starts moving at a snails pace.  Finally, the film has several deaths but most take place off screen.  The effects that we get are top notch but the kills are lackluster and easily forgettable.  Overall, Mohawk is a solid effort.  It has a great cast and a solid story but will, sadly, be forgotten with time.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment