Sunday, June 3, 2018

Spider


Director - Vasili Mass
Starring - Romualds Ancans (The Hounds of Riga, The Arrows of Robin Hood), Aurelija Anuzhite (Midsummer Madness, The Mystery of the Old Perish House), and Saulius Balandis (Blood of the Templars, The Keeper of Time)
Release Date - 1991
Genre - Drama/Horror
Tagline - "A macabre and sensual tale of sexual awakening"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I've had a lot going on lately.  After trucking through the Puppet Master Trunk set I tried to review a Troma film for Tromatic Thursday only to miss Thursday because my wife gave birth to a beautiful little girl.  After that my laptop shit the bed while I was trying to get caught up on reviews and other Horror Society posts.  With it went my review for Troma's Wizards of the Demon Sword.  Now I'm back with a fierce determination to get caught up so prepare for an onslaught of my trademarked poorly written reviews.  First on the chopping block is the 1991 Russian erotic horror film Spider.  The film was released sometime ago by the fine folks at Mondo Macabro who was nice enough to send a review copy my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows a beautiful young woman who gets a job modeling, as well as, performing odd jobs for an artist.  The closer she gets to him the more and more she has vivid dreams about death and a giant spider raping her.  These dreams start to evade her world while she is awake and puts her sanity to the test.
    



     I went into this thinking it was a Russian giallo of shorts but I was wrong.  Instead, I was hit with a gorgeous mind trip of a film that I was not expecting.  The acting in this film is flawless.  I absolutely loved the cast.  Their characters are larger than life and the they hold the viewer's attention so well.  I've said this a few times so far this year but I believe this is my favorite film in regards to acting.  The cast is damn near perfect.  The story for this one is effective but long winded.  The story is rather bold and slightly complex resulting in a film that demands your attention.  If you look away momentarily you can miss something very important.  I liked how the film played out and I loved the ending.  Finally, this isn't a bloody flick.  It does have some great practical and creature effects.   Overall, Spider is an ambitious erotic horror thriller that has creature feature aspects scattered throughout.  I really enjoyed this one and Mondo did a fantastic job with this release.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment