Tuesday, August 7, 2018

68 Kill



Director - Tent Haaga (Chop)
Starring - Matthew Gray Gubler (How to be a Serial Killer, Excision), AnnaLynne McCord (Day of the Dead, The Haunting of Molly Hartley), and Alisha Boe (Amusement, Paranormal Activity 4)
Release Date - 2017
Genre - Action/Horror
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
 
     Since the birth of my third child and the crashing of my crappy laptop I've been slowly climbing out of the pile of movies I've been sent to review.  I decided recently to have a Scream Factory marathon.  I decided to start with Hell Night.  This was a slasher I had never seen but was always curious about.  Plus, it had Linda Blaire so it was a must for me.  I have several other Scream Factory releases to work through but decided to go with the 2017 Trent Haaga directed 68 Kill.  Haaga is known throughout the horror community for his performance in Terror Firmer from Troma and as Killjoy in the Full Moon series.  I knew this was going to be a fun one so I tossed it in.  Thanks Scream Factory for sending this one my way!
    The film follows reluctant lady's man Chip (Gubler).  Chip is in love with the gorgeous Liza (McCord) but Liza has a few screws loose.  She sleeps around for money and uses her hold on Chip to get what she wants.  One night she learns that the guy she has been fucking for cash is sitting on 68 thousand dollars.  She makes Chip help her rob him but what Chip doesn't know is that she plans on killing the guy and the two taking off with the cash.  What they don't expect is another woman there to complicate plans nor did Chip expect to fall in love with the new woman.  This sends Chip into a series of events involving his would be serial killer brother in law, a trailer full of prostitutes and junkies, and even more beautiful woman.
     68 Kill is one of those movies that I never expected to get in the mail and know very little about.  When I saw that Trent Haaga had directed it I was very curious to see how this one would play out.  Honestly, it is one of the better team ups from IFC Midnight and Scream Factory.  The acting in this one is amazing.  The entire cast is spot on.  Gubler and McCord is brilliant together.  Their characters are portrayed perfectly and they work so well with each other.  Casting is on point with these two.  I also enjoyed the supporting cast as well.   Haaga and company did a fantastic job bringing this talented group together.  The story for this one has a lot going on but it works well.  The botched robbery, the serial killer brother, the redneck sex ring, and the crazy hottie all adds layers to a story that would be rather boring without it all.  It's not a complex story but it does have a lot going on creating a very action rich thriller.  Finally, the film is rather bloody.  We get several awesome kills with top notch practical effects.  The kills are not that original but they are still entertaining.  Overall, 68 Kill is a fantastic watch.  I highly recommend this one so check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment