Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Ash vs. Evil Dead: Season 3



Series Creators - Sam Raimi (Evil Dead, Drag Me to Hell) and Ivan Raimi (Darkman, Army of Darkness)
Starring - Bruce Campell (Bubba Ho-Tep, My Name is Bruce), Ray Santiago (Meet the Fockers, Trash Fire), and Dana DeLorenzo (A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas, Will and Grace)
Release Date - 2018
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Evil is about to get schooled"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
      I had a rather unique childhood but I can't say it was all bad.  In my reviews from the past, especially my season 2 review of Ash vs. Evil Dead, I mentioned how she forced my little sister and I to watch various horror films.  This was around the time I was 4 or 5.  This wasn't a family activity where we watched movies together and sang songs.  She believed these films were informative and would often preach to us afterward.  When I was in middle school, a few years after she abandoned us, my love of horror took hold and before long I found myself watching Sam Raimi's Evil Dead trilogy where I recalled Evil Dead II as being one of the films my mom forced us to watch.  I fell in love with the series and didn't let the torture my mother put me through take away from the film.  I've loved the films for almost 20 years including the remake.  When Ash vs. Evil Dead was announced I was on cloud 9.  I couldn't wait.  Now we are three seasons in with the third just hitting blu and dvd. 
     This season begins with Ash taking over his father's hardware store.  Pablo is running a fish taco stand in the hardware store and Kelly is MIA.  Everything seems to be working out in their favor until someone uncovers the Necronomicon sticking out of the mod and takes it to an antique roadshow to have appraised but the passages in the text are read aloud releasing the evil once again.  Ruby can sense the book and tracks it down while she works on her plan to finally kill Ash so she can use her own spawn to take over for once and for all but standing in her way is Ash, Pablo, Kelly, Ash's daughter and the Knights of Sumeria.
     I've seen some stupid decisions come from people with money.  I've watched the Day of the Dead remake, listened to film with no picture except a kleidescope effects while the actors spoke their dialogue, and now I've lived through The Walking Dead get a spin off while Ash vs. Evil Dead gets the axe.  I've seen several amazing horror related shows but this one is by far one of the better ones but the access of the channel and provider makes it difficult for everyone to watch it without a physical release.  Sadly, others struggle like I do to get the channel resulting in the show to be cut which sucks considering how amazing it is.  The acting in this one is damn near perfect.  Every character stands out and has their own personality which is brought to life by the amazing cast.  At this point Bruce is no longer acting, he is Ash Williams.  For as long as I can remember he has been one of my favorite actors and this film shows just how fun he is to watch on camera.  He supporting cast is fantastic as well.  Ray Santiago, Dana DeLorenzo, and Lucy Lawless are fantastic.  Their characters are fun to watch and not easily forgettable.  The story for this one even more expands on what was established in the original films, comics, and video games.  The writing in this one is fun and the film has amazing pacing.  The laughs and wit are placed perfectly between the horror making for the perfect mash up of the two.  Sadly, the series ends on what could be the beginning of the most epic fourth season if it wasn't cancelled.  Finally, this season is just as gory as the others.  The kills and gore is very imaginative and fun while keeping the true humor of the show alive.  There is a fair amount of CGI.  Some of it looks decent but a good portion of it looks horrible.  The other two seasons had the same problem and it looks like the powers that be didn't learn their lesson.  Overall, Ash vs. Evil Dead: Season 3 is a fantastic slapstick filled horror adventure that features an amazing cast and plenty of gore for you sick fuck.  Check it out now on blu and VOD!


No comments:

Post a Comment