Monday, January 21, 2019

Obamaland



Director - Greg Bergman (Big Like Me)
Starring - Isaac Anderson (Zoombies, The Twisted Doll), P. David Miller (Sleepy Hollow, Criminal Minds), and Christina Leidel (The Horror Within, Outcast)
Release Date - 2018
Genre - Comedy/Adventure
Tagline - "Make American Not Great Again"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
 
     Politics is one of those things I try not to discuss with people because it tends to bring out the worst.  People value their own opinions higher than others and refuse to live peacefully with those that think differently than them.  I also tend to troll.  When I see a hardcore republican or extreme liberal being an asshole on social media I tend to poke the bear so to speak.  I have conservatives that believe I'm a liberal and I have liberals believe I'm a conservative just because I like to argue with them.  Honestly, I'm right in the middle and because of that I can have fun with it all because I don't really pick a side.  Sometime ago I received press releases for two politically fueled films.  The first is a parody of Halloween titled President Evil and followed a Michael Myer's like slasher that wore a Trump mask.  The second was a comedy title Obamaland.  Both looked extremely funny and very offensive.  After a few weeks I received word that review copies were available for Obamaland so I requested one.  Thanks Breaking Glass for sending this one my way!
     The film follows Obamanomics professor Tinder (Anderson) who just lost his girlfriend when he found her cheating on him with a paraplegic, a clown general, and a transgendered woman.  He lives in a world where Trump and his cabinet fell to their deaths at Trump tower so Obama became president for life.  He has changed the country drastically and most republicans have went into hiding.  While he is away with some friends he finds himself abducted by a gang of white hating Mexicans but is saved at the last minute but is soon arrested.  While he is being transported to his prison sentence he is once again rescued.  This time by Republican war hero Hope White (Leidel).  He is then tossed into the underground movement of the Trumpublikans who plan on overthrowing Obama and making American great again.
     I went into this one expecting to really enjoy myself.  It has a premise I could get behind and the trailer made me think that the team behind this one had a solid sense of humor and wasn't sniffing their own farts.  It wasn't a bad film but it was one that overstayed it's welcome.  The acting in this one is solid.  The cast really gets into their characters but there was time when their emotional range just wasn't where it should have been.  The film looks great and seems like it has a decent budget but the cast was rolling through dialogue like this was one of the no budget back yard films I get in from time to time to review.  The story for this one is funny.  It takes the extremes of both sides of the political spectrum and runs with it.  This was fun and resulted in several laughs early on in the film but these jokes quickly wore thin and the lack of story reared its head.  The movie would have been great if 30 minutes was shaved off it but as it stands we get repetitive jokes and several scenes full of boring dialogue.  Finally, this is not a bloody horror film like I am accustomed to reviewing.  Instead, this film relies on humor and wit to drive it home to the viewers and that doesn't do the work that it should.  Overall, Obamaland has some funny moments but these jokes are unable to carry the entire film.  It deserves at least one watch but just for shock factor alone.  The movie has no replay value and will make you feel like you lost a few brain cells along the way. 

Also, don't forget to comment below about how I'm a libtard or conservadouche. 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment