Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Grave Encounters 2 (2012)

Grave Encounters 2 (2012)
directed by:  John Poliquin
starring:  Richard Harmon, Dylan Playfair, Stephanie Bennett, Howie Lai, Leanne Lapp, Sean Tyson, Sean Robertson, Shawn C. Philips
Tagline:  Fear is just a word.  Reality is much worse.
Format:  NTSC:  Region 1 Personal Collection

(out of 5)
 
The Movie:  This one started out so good.  I love found footage style films and will never grow tired of them as I don't with any concept I like.  So many people complain about lack of originality etc.  I have zero problems finding original horror at all but I really have no care as long as what I'm watching is good.  And man was this one good for the first half anyway.  The film follows a group of five college students whom have been in search of a good and "original" film to create.  The director
Alex (Richard Harmon) stumbles across a video of an insane asylum sent by a mysterious youtuber by the name of "Death Awaits".  He becomes obsessed with the video and begins to do research about where the video was shot.  He discovers the video came from the same place where the movie Grave Encounters was filmed.  A movie that was supposed to be fake...or was it?  The rest of the movie takes place inside the asylum after the five of them take a road trip to Canada to find it.  Don't wanna go into a whole lot as usual but for me I thoroughly enjoyed the first half.  Then the movie just takes a nose dive when it begins to explain the full story-line and gets into magic doors leading all over the place.  Some dug it, I did not.  For me the movie ceased to be scary and just took a wrong turn until it's end.  A dead end I might add.
The Gore:  Not a whole lot but there was some definite gore.  My favorite being when one of the characters gets their face bashed in with a camera while the camera is on in POV.  Nice fx all throughout the movie...the cgi was pretty good not spectacular but not bad and the gore wasn't ruined with cgi like a lot of films do nowadays for whatever reason.  Honorable mention to a death in which one of the characters is choked to death after being bludgeoned with a pipe.  The eyes begin bleeding and was very real looking and nasty.  Loved it.
The Acting:  On point with every character.  No one was bad.  My favorites being Richard Harmon who played the main character and director of the movie within a movie and his girlfriend and lead actress Tessa (Stephanie Bennett) who did a great job being scared out of her mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment