Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Picasso Trigger


Director - Andy Sidaris (Malibu Express, Hard Ticket to Hawaii)
Starring - Steve Bond (The Incredible Hulk, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan), Dona Speir (Savage Beach, Fit to Kill), and Hope Marie Carlton (Hard Ticket to Hawaii, A Nightmare on Elm St. Part 4: The Dream Master)
Release - 1988
Genre - Horror/Crime
Tagline - "Killing is an art form"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     My Andy Sidaris action marathon is winding down and I'm saving some other releases for a different time.  I want to get one more in before moving on to something else and this time I'm going with the 1988 action flick Picasso Trigger.  The film is a sequel of sorts to Sidaris' 1987 film Hard Ticket to Hawaii.  I tossed this one in with hopes that it would deliver the sleazy action like the previous two films did...and it did for the most part.  I want to again thank Mill Creek for allowing Horror Society and myself the opportunity to review these highly entertaining films.  
     The film follows a group of agents who are being hunted by a crime lord who lost his brother to the same agents sometime before (events in Hard Ticket to Hawaii).  They band together and pull in additional support to stop him before the agents can be brought down but soon realize that they are not as safe in numbers as they originally thought when one of them has switched sides and is working for the enemy.
   
     I don't think another Sidaris film will entertain like Malibu Express did but Hard Ticket to Hawaii and Picasso Trigger sure fucking tries.  When I say I had fun and loved them I don't mean they are good movies...because they are not.  The acting is very b-level along with cliched or overused plot devices with nudity carrying the film.  However, as negative as that sounds those same reasons are the reasons I love these films.  Picasso Trigger is definitely the weakest of the three I marathoned but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun because I definitely enjoyed myself.  The acting in this one is more of the same as the previous two films.  The cast portrays some over the top and highly cliched action characters but their personalities make them so much fun to watch.  I really enjoy these types of characters more than your typical action characters.  They make light of dangerous situations and their use of humor really sets these films apart.  The story is another take on an overused action story.  It had it's moments but this one was not as fun as the previous two films.  The characters carried the film but the story itself was somewhat boring with the nudity and humor picking up the slack.  Finally, this one doesn't have the blood and gore most of you are accustomed to.  However, if you love boobs and explosions then you will find your fill here.  Overall, Picasso Trigger offers up some fun and camp action with plenty of skin but doesn't make itself as memorable as other Andy Sidaris releases.   The blu looks solid from Mill Creek but once again lacks new special features and includes previously released features.  It's worth adding to your collection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment