Saturday, April 11, 2020

Terror in the Skies


Director - Seth Breedlove (The Bray Road Beast, The Mothman of Point Pleasant)
Starring - Lyle Blackburn (Return of the Jackalope, American Nightmare), Loren Coleman (UFO Files, Twisted Tales), and Ken Gerhard (In Search of Monsters, Monsterquest)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Documentary
Tagline - "Thunderbirds. Phantoms. Prehistoric remnants. Winged demons. Mothman"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     I wanted to have a crypto double feature after I watched two Vinegar Syndrome flicks.  So I decided to toss in the horror comedy Bigfoot! from Absurd Productions Pictures.  When I finished that anthology I decided to look for something a little different but still fitting my theme.  I had bought the Small Town Monsters' documentary Terror in the Skies sometime ago at the Mothman Festival but never got around to checking it out.  I've seen most of their releases up to this point and reviewed several of them so this was the perfect time to get caught up and add more cryptids to my double feature.
     The documentary follows the winged phenomenon of Illinois that has terrorized the state for decades.  We venture into tales from possible condors, left over creatures from prehistoric times, and even the Mothman.



 
      I really enjoy the documentaries brought to us from Small Town Monsters.  They give the world of cryptozoology the much needed attention it truly deserves.  Sure, we have countless books and half ass television shows on the subject but none go as in depth as these documentaries do.  I really enjoy their documentaries and this one was exceptionally interesting.  The interviews in this one are wide range spanning from cryptozoologists that studied each incident to witnesses and locals that lived through each of the sightings as they happened.  I really like how in depth these interviews get but my only turn off is how each subject in the film has very little time dedicated to it.  I would have really enjoyed myself if each phenomenon had their own episode dedicated to it.  I also enjoyed the way the documentary follows each phenomenon as they took place and kept them grouped with the anomaly.  We follow each sighting as it happened and the film is split up with each creature/phantom almost like an anthology but in chronological order.  It really puts everything in scope of how much phenomenon happens in a state that is known for other things.  Finally, this crypto documentary is edited together very nicely which his something STM is known for.  Their productions are always top notch and the flow in this is fucking seemless.  They do a fantastic job with this production and I would have loved to see more from it.  Overall, Terror in the Skies is another hit from the crew of STM.  They give us another documentary that will pull the viewer in and mesmerize them.  I wish this film was turned into a series but it's still a solid effort from a team that has brought paranormal and cryptids into the mainstream once again.  Check it out and add it to your collection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment