Saturday, June 12, 2021

Around Midnight



Director(s) - Laura Giglio (After Midnight, Tales for the Midnight Hour II), Christopher Kahler (A Prelude to Purgatory, Director's Cut), Andrew N. Shearer (Space Boobs in Space, Cannibal Sisters), and Gary Whitson (Psycho Vampire, Bloody Creek)
Starring - Laura Giglio, Christopher Kahler, and Suzi Lorraine (House of Manson, Bleeding Hearts)
Release Date - 2004
Genre - Horror
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     A few weeks ago I was checking out what was new with my friends over at The Sleaze Box when I saw that they had a few new releases that I had not checked out.  Hell on Earth: The Arena of Death is what really caught my eye but I was also curious about the horror anthology Around Midnight.  I'm a sucker for a vampire flick so I reached out to Chris at The Sleaze box and he was kind enough to send a copy of it my way.
     The film follows a beautiful vampire in lingerie as she tells us several stories involving vampires.
     I went into this one expecting a cheap S.O.V. vampire anthology with some cheap laughs, fun stories, and blood.  Sadly, the film was lacking in the story department and was not as bloody as one would expect coming from a film centered around vampires.  It was enjoyable for a first time watch but it has no replay value.  The acting in this one is pretty solid.  I noticed that a lot of the cast has limited experience but you wouldn't know this from watching the film.  Each segment is fairly consistent with the acting.  The cast does a great job even though they were inexperienced.  Some of the segments had characters that I enjoyed but everyone is on the same page which made the film flow a lot better than it should have.  The stories for these segments are straight forward but lacking.  I wanted to really like these segments but they felt like they were rushed and incomplete.  A few had fun scenes but nothing that you will remember.  Finally, the film has some blood and prosthetic fangs but that's really the extent of it.  The make-up and practical effects and nearly nonexistent but the deaths are what you would expect coming from a story like this.  Overall, Around Midnight has some fun moments that could be really entertaining with some beer but don't expect a movie you can rewatch and enjoy over and over again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment