Monday, June 28, 2021

Flakka 666


Director - Luis Antonio Rodriguez (Border Cartel, The Final Blow)
Starring - Erik Alamia (The 13th Friday, The Blood Tapes), Anna Aparicio, and Nikki Aparicio
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Wild Eye is one of the few companies that give indie productions a voice.  I love getting in new Wild Eye releases.  Even if I don't care for the film I still enjoy watching something that people put a lot of time and hard work into.  It's impossible for me to love everything Wild Eye releases but I do respect a lot of the films I didn't like.  Sometime back I saw that Wild Eye was releasing another installment in their Raw and Extreme line.  Flakka 666 had one of those posters that really caught my attention and I wanted to see it.  I reached out to MVD who was handling the release and they were kind enough to send a copy my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows a Mexican drug dealer who is smuggling product across the border when he gets his hands on something a little special.  His drug manufacturer also dabbles in black magic and crafted up a new drug.  However, this new drug is turning the users into flesh-eating zombies.
     I never expect my reviews to help determine if someone should watch a movie or not.  People have already made up their mind when they see the poster or title for a film.  I respect that because I'm the same way.  If people told me that Flakka 666 was a bad movie I wouldn't care because that title and Wild Eye's artwork already peaked my curiosity.  With that being said, Flakka 666 did not live up to it's title and artwork.  It was a very interesting premise that had so much potential but the final film just fell short.  The acting in this one is not bad but it's very inconsistent and at times the cast seems to be lacking energy.  No one can question their dedication to the film but their inexperience shows at time with awkward dialogue.  When you mix this with the slow scenes and lack of character development you get a difficult film to finish.  The story for this one is one that has been done before but with a fantastic Satanic angle.  There has been several films where drug use has lead to the users becoming zombies.  However, the black magic mixed in with it opened up the door to so many possibilities that was never explored.  I would have loved to see more of the black magic explored.  Instead, we get a film that is choppy at times with random scenes put together of people doing drugs and turning into zombies.  Indie productions are plagued with problems from casting, scheduling conflicts and so much more.  The movie plays out like certain scenes were filmed at various times and then put together with little regard to the actual story.  This could be due to issues with filming but I feel as if something is missing.  Finally, the film has plenty of blood but it's not as gory as you would expect from a zombie flick.  The practical effects works fairly well for most of the gags but there is a few times where the effects do show the film's budget.  Overall, Flakka 666 is an interesting idea that falls apart from the script to the camera.  It has some fun moments but the lack of energy and story makes it really hard to finish.  I would love to see this story approached with more attention to the occult and zombies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment