Monday, June 27, 2022

Stuck on You!


Director(s) - Michael Herz (The Troma System, Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.) and Lloyd Kaufman (Tales from the Crapper, Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead)
Starring - Irwin Corey (Jack, The Curse of the Jade Scorpion), Virginia Penta, and Mark Mikulski (C.H.U.D., Loving)
Release Date - 1983
Genre - Comedy
Tagline - "You'll come unglued with laughter"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I have to admit that I didn't have as much fun with Troma's The Sexy Box as I thought I would.  I enjoyed The First Turn On!! but Waitress! was a bit of a disappointment.  It's because of this that I was on the fence about Stuck on You!  I had hoped that it would be another sleazy comedy with Troma's sense of humor but it did miss it's mark with me.  This may explain why Troma switched gears and went the horror direction.  Regardless, I want to thank MVD and Troma for sending the Sexy Box over for review.  I may not have enjoyed this flick but it was still an awesome experience to review another Troma film.
     The film follows a married couple on the rocks.  They seek a divorce and while appearing in court the judge decides to tell them different tales of love throughout the ages.
     Stuck on You! is an interesting concept and another comedy based anthology from Troma that has potential but doesn't really work like I had hoped.  I liked the idea behind the film but the segments are too short and the humor is the weakest of the three films.  It's obvious it was rushed out to cash in on the video rentals of the time but quality control was non-existent.  The acting on this is probably the most Troma-like of all their films.  The characters are over the top and very eccentric but they try so hard.  They are inexperienced but a lot of them would go on to appear in some decent films and television shows.  Honestly, the acting is probably my favorite part of the film and the characters.  The fact that they couldn't have been written into bigger roles.  The story for this one is one of those ideas that looks good on paper but doesn't translate well to the screen.  I was expecting the film to be sleazier than it and the lack of sleaze and humor made this one painfully dull watch.  The wraparound segment involving a judge was a clever set up for the other stories but the following segments lacked any sort of entertainment.  They were dull, generic, and rushed.  Finally, this isn't a bloody flick as you would have guessed.  Overall, Stuck on You! is a disappointment.  I want to praise Troma for everything they do but this one just wasn't for me.  This is one I would skip if I was you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment