Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Here For Blood


Director - Daniel Turres (Terry's Car Gets Stolen)
Starring - Shawn Roberts (Diary of the Dead, Land of the Dead), Maya Misaljevic (The Boys, Locke and Key), and Joelle Farrow (Good Witch, Bitten)
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     When Halloween was approaching, I found myself slightly overwhelmed with all the press releases flooding my inbox with all the amazing horror titles hitting store shelves just in time for the holiday. Some films were fairly generic and did very little for my imagination while others really caught my eye. One film that I had to see before Halloween hit was Here for Blood starring Diary of the Dead and Resident Evil’s Shawn Roberts. Most horror fans recognize him as Albert Wesker from the Resident Evil series but I first recognized him in George A. Romero’s Diary of the Dead. I quickly responded to the email and requested a screener. I wasn’t able to watch it as quickly as I liked but I made damn sure I was able to watch it before Halloween. 
      The film follows professional wrestler Tom (Roberts) who is coerced by his girlfriend to babysit a wealthy family’s daughter for her after something pops up. He reluctantly agrees and arrives to watch the young girl who would rather spend time playing video games than interacting with her muscle bound babysitter. However, things take a sinister turn when mask wearing maniacs descend from the attack to abduct the little girl. He fights them off and after a lot of bloodshed he is able to save her. However, their night is not over after he learns that her parents are part of a cult that is willingly allowing themselves to be sacrifices. 
      Here for Blood reminds me of the movies I fucking love snagging at Wal-Mart, FYE, and anywhere else I could buy movies in the mid-00s. Movies like Dead and Breakfast, Hide and Creep, Dance of the Dead, Fido, Boy Eats Girl, and many more offer up a lot of splatter, laughs, and a decent enough story that you don’t mind that they are slightly generic. Here for Blood is a film that I will be adding to my collection as soon as I can while recommending it to as many people as I can. I fucking loved it and how mindlessly fun it was. The acting in this one is a lot of fun. Shawn Roberts was perfectly cast as the aspiring professional wrestler. He looks the part and his character was very enjoyable to watch. His co-stars are just as great. Mara Misaljevic, and Joelie Farrow among so many others. This film has an amazing cast and some seriously fun performances. The story for this one is a home invasion splatter flick with plenty of laughs and a unique cult angle that doesn’t feel overdone. A lot of time went into writing the characters and the film’s set up but there is a few moments where the film does feel like it hits a standstill. It quickly picks up the pace after this but it does slow the film down at times. Finally, the film has some fantastic practical effects. The talking head is the weakest effects in the film but it does bring out a laugh here and there. However, the other effects are fucking top notch. We get some bloody kills and memorable characters that makes this one a fantastic late night watch especially with some friends and beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment