Monday, November 14, 2022

Human Hibachi 2: Feast in the Forest


Director - Mario Cerrito (Deadly Gamble, Human Hibachi)
Starring - Frank Volpe (Evil Lives Here, Joker), Giavonna Banner (Broken Trust), and Julie Chapin (Ghost Goggles, American Ripper)
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Horror
Tagline - It's hunting season"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Last year, or the year before, I reviewed the found footage horror film Human Hibachi. I’m not a fan of found footage films but I actually enjoyed this one. It’s not the best ff flick I’ve seen but it was a lot of fun and I loved the plot behind it. The movie went on to gain a little bit of a following among indie horror fans so I knew a sequel would be in the works. I was right. I started receiving press releases from the follow up films earlier in the year and the posts went over very well on the site. I was looking forward to checking it out and then a few days before Halloween I received a message from the Human Hibachi Instagram page to review the sequel Human Hibachi 2: Feast in the Forest. I wanted to add it to my October horror binge but I wasn’t able to work it in but I still had time for it this month. 
      The film follows a clan that live deep in the woods who have a taste for flesh. Through different tactics they find ways to lure unsuspecting campers or those that trespass on their land to their camp where they party and then butcher them for a good home cooked meal. 
      Human Hibachi 2: Feast in the Forest didn’t really have the same tone as the first film and does go a different route but it still finds a way to be fun. I don’t see this one being as rewatchable as the first but it is entertaining as a first time watch. I wanted to like it more than I did but I couldn’t help but compare it to Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence) and Wrong Turn. Regardless, it was enjoyable and one I could see other genre fans digging as well. The acting in this one is pretty decent. There is room for improvement but they are fully dedicated to their roles which does bring some fun to several scenes. With that being said, their inexperience does bring about some awkward scenes. It’s not the worst I’ve seen but some experience would have went a long way. The story for this one reminds me a lot of the back-woods cannibal flicks that flocked to video store shelves in the wake of Wrong Turn. It still have that Human Hibachi like storyline by way of films like Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence) where the first film is depicted as a movie that inspires a sequel. I liked it and how it was implemented into the film but the movie was too long in my opinion. The dialogue heavy scenes and light action made the film feel like it was 30 minutes too long. Some fat could be trimmed on this one without compromising the film’s integrity. Finally, the films effects had me laughing my ass off. The mannequin roasting over the fire is peak humor in indie horror. This Ed Wood like gag made it onto the film’s artwork and promo material and while it’s far from perfect it still looks pretty cool while retaining the sense of humor. The remainder of the effects are minimal with some blood splatter here and there with some make-up effects. Overall, Human Hibachi 2: Feast in the Forest is something I would highly recommend to watch with a group of friends and plenty of beer. It’s not perfect but it’s fun which is all you can ask for with a movie that has no budget. Check this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment