Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Creepshow Season 3



Starring - Ethan Embry (That Thing You Do, Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle), James Remar (Tales from the Darkside: The Movie, The Warriors), and Brandon Quinn (Big Wolf on Campus, The Nightmare Room)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     One of my favorite horror anthologies is George A. Romero’s Creepshow. It is an anthology that I hold in high regard and often compare other anthologies to it when I review them. When I heard that Shudder was turning it into a television series, I was beside myself. A new horror-based anthology series has not been done in a while and very few were able to do it successfully. The most popular anthology horror series that comes to mind is Tales from the Crypt but there have been others. I’ve watched and reviewed both seasons of Creepshow so far and loved them both equally. When I received the press release for season three, I knew I had to see it. I requested a copy and with the insanity the holidays and my family being sick I couldn’t review it on time. However, I was still able to work it in after the release date. 
      This season features double story episodes ranging from conspiracy theory survivalists that kill to keep their child but creates something sinister in the garden where he buries the body to a pedophile getting what he deserves when one of his young victims comes back to life in 1968.
      The Creepshow series is a lot of fun and season three is no exception. The show gives fans a lot of the same style of humor while paying tribute to EC Comics with their reap what you sow twists. Hell, the series more than makes up for the abysmal Creepshow III that should have never been greenlit. Some of the episodes are better than others but this was a fantastic season overall. The acting in this one is fantastic. We have genre regulars like The Devil’s Candy and The Walking Dead’s Ethan Embry and Dexter and Tales from the Darkside: The Movie’s James Remar just to name a few. The casting is phenomenal from top to bottom with some amazing performances from long time actors and up and comers. Everyone works so well together and the characters they portray work for the show. I was seriously impressed by the entire cast, old and young. The stories for this season are like the other two seasons. They are inconsistent, but the weakest link is still better than most movies I’ve reviewed over the years. My favorite of the season is the final episode which takes place during the early hours of the zombie outbreak in Night of the Living Dead. This particular story has a lot of different layers and the fact that it serves as another horror tale set during one of my favorite horror films makes it even better. I also enjoyed the one of the first episodes, if not the very first episode of the season, which follows a conspiracy theory proud boy that kills his wife to keep his son. The story was not what I was expecting at all and I very much enjoyed it. There was a few duds that was fun but nowhere near as enjoyable as most of the others. The episode following the horror nerd that collects props was extremely boring and so was the episode starring Big Wolf on Campus’ Brandon Quin about a billionaire buying a cursed painting. These episodes were decent enough but they were awkward and a bit cringy at times. This season is inconsistent but not bad. Finally, the film has a ton of great visual and practical effects. The visual effects are very noticeable but they compliment the practical effects. The kills are top notch and you damn well know that they wouldn’t skip on the red stuff. Overall, Creepshow Season 3 is another hit and I look forward to more seasons to come. Be sure to snag this on blu or check it out on Shudder!

No comments:

Post a Comment