Thursday, January 12, 2023

Sighs from the Depths


Director - Richard Griffin (Seven Dorms of Death, Strapped for Danger)
Starring - Paul Nolette, Neil Redfield (The Serpent Writhes in a Glass, Disorienting Dick), and Bruce Church (Code Name: Dynastud, Long Night in a Dead City)
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "You are always welcome here"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating - (out of 5):



     I always find myself getting excited when I’m asked to review a film and it’s even more exciting when it’s a filmmaker that I’ve admired for years. I’ve been a fan of Richard Griffin for a long time, well over a decade at this point. He’s one of the most underrated filmmakers I’ve ever encountered with so many amazing films under his belt with movies like The Disco Exorcist, Nun of That, Murder University, Future Justice, Accidental Incest, Long Night in a Dead City, and many more. That’s why I was beyond excited when Richard reached out for me to review his newest short Sighs from the Depths. I want to thank Richard for allowing Horror Society and myself the opportunity to watch his newest work. 
     The film follows a man and woman who hold special candle lit events for strangers. The woman tells those that visit her how they will die and what will be the cause but is something more going on? 
      Sighs from the Depths puts Griffin back behind the camera, but the downside is that the film is a short. Typically, I like reviewing shorts because I can do two or three in the same amount of time it takes me to watch and review a feature length film. However, when it’s a filmmaker you admire like Richard Griffin then the short run time is a but of a disappointment. Don’t get me wrong, the short is a fantastic short but I really need a feature length film from Griffin. It’s been far too long. The acting in this one is fantastic. The cast is relatively small, but everyone carries the film. The cast is natural in front of the camera, there is no awkward dialogue, and the characters are very well grounded. I know Griffin is involved with theater in his neck of the woods so I’m sure he used that connection to secure amazing talent for this short. The story for this one for this one is very intriguing but with the 10 minute run time I found myself wanting more. I need more back story and a much deeper look into these characters. It’s an effective short but it also falls victim to it’s short run time. Finally, the film is not a blood bath but it is visually appealing. I really enjoyed the look and tone of the film. It really sets the mood and solidifies the story. Overall, Sighs from the Depths is not a horror film in a modern sense. However, it is a brooding and atmospheric short that reminds me a lot of the classic horror tales that a lot of us grew up watching late at night in the dark of our living rooms. If you get a chance to check this one out I highly suggest you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment