Thursday, October 10, 2024

Sammy Slick: Vampire Slayer


Director - Christopher Leto (Psycho Science, Death Blow)
Starring - Klein Wong (Swamp Woman, Death Blow), Ariella Aegen (The Book, Dangerous Isolation), and Barbora Sulova (The Beast Comes at Midnight, Werewolf of Wismar)
Release Date - 2023
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Format - Streaming (Tubi)

Rating (out of 5):


     Yesterday I inadvertently found myself in a Jessa Flux double feature when I hit play on Brad Twigg's Crackcoon and followed that up with Christopher Leto's Psycho Science.  Both films were fantastic and after watching Psycho Science I realized I had yet to watch another newer one from Leto.  In 2023 he release the horror comedy Sammy Slick: Vampire Slayer and I completely forgot to snag a copy.  I saw it it was on Tubi and decided to check it out as well which, coincidentally, turned into a Klein Wong and Ariella Aegen double feature.  
     The film follows Sammy Slick (Wong) who is a vampire slayer.  He receives a visit from a stripper who claims that the strip club she works at is now owned by vampires.  An investigation into the nightclub results in the owner and her goons finding out he is looking into them.  She sends out several hits on him and his assistant forcing them to fight back.
     Sammy Slick was a pretty enjoyable vampire flick but I did find myself laughing at some unintentionally funny moments.  I knew they were unintentional because of how out of place it was.  However, if you were to remove these elements completely, the film would still be enjoyable.  The acting in this one is pretty solid for the most part.  The characters are very well written and the cast does a fantastic job with what they were given.  Wong and Aegen are great together and I hope to see them both appear in more genre films.  With that being said, the fight scenes had me ugly laughing.  The cast was so stiff and awkward to watch that it resulted in some laughs that were clearly not intentional.  The story for this one is straight forward with no plot twists or real depth.  While I would have liked a little more substance to the story, I still found it enjoyable especially when you consider how well written the characters are.  You don't get a lot of indie horror films with characters written that well.  Finally, the film has some blood, nudity, and horrible visual effects.  The blood is fine and the nudity is perfect but the visual effects were atrocious.  Honestly, the film could have went another route to show the vampires dying instead of taking the Buffy the Vampire approach.  Overall, Sammy Slick: Vampire Slayer is a solid indie vampire flick.  While I did have some laughs at it's expense, I still enjoyed it for what it was.  Grab a few beers and enjoy the nudity at the very least!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment