Saturday, August 2, 2014

Buddy Hutchins


Director - Jared Cohn (Jailbait, Atlantic Rim)
Starring - Jamie Kennedy (Scream, Bongwater), Sally Kirkland (Bruce Almighty), and Sara Malakul Lane (Jailbait, Sharktopus)
Release Date - 2014
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "His bad day is now your bad day"
Format - Streaming (online screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     Writing for Horror Society has been something that I will be forever thankful for.  I know this sounds cliche but Horror Society has changed my life in so many ways.  I have met a lot of wonderful people during my short time here at the site and one of those people is director Jared Cohn.  Last year, September to be exact, I attended a horror and sci-fi con called Shockacon.  It was here I met Jared along with Eugene Clark who is known for playing Big Daddy in George A. Romero's Land of the Dead.  Jared is the man who brought us the mockbuster Atlantic Rim along with his women in prison comedy Jailbait.  I befriended him on Facebook and learned he was working with Jamie Kennedy on a new film called Buddy Hutchins.   I reached out to him and he was kind enough to shoot me an online screener.  Thanks Jared!
     The film follows Buddy (Kennedy).  Buddy is down on his luck but he goes on because he has the support of his family.  He was once a guitarist for a rock band and a major alcoholic but has turned his back on that life to focus on his family.  His son resents him but he fine with that because he still has his beautiful daughter, whom he is very proud of, and his wife...until he learns she is cheating on him.  His life goes from rough to fucking impossible.  He loses his dry cleaning business and is forced out of his home.  He resorts to drinking again and this results in an arrest, as well as, a bounty hunter after him for the bonds.  His life then goes even darker when he learns that his father was actually his uncle, his mother dies, and then his ex-wife starts hounding him for alimony.  This sends poor Buddy over the deep end and he kills his uncle father guy, his gay brother and his life partner, his ex-wife and black boyfriend, and his wife's new boyfriend before going up in a hail of gunfire and explosions...but is he really dead?
     When I meet a filmmaker that is new to me I never know what to expect.  Jared was extremely nice to me when we met at Shockacon and has continued to show great kindness through our interactions on Facebook.  With that being said, I had no idea what to expect from Buddy Hutchins.  The film looked fun and once I started watching I realized that this will be one not many people will forget. The acting in this one is solid by the entire cast but some concerns did arise when I was watching this.  Several scenes showed Jamie Kennedy on top of his game while others just felt like he didn't care.  This was very disheartening for me because I loved Kennedy in Scream. 
This was consistent throughout the film which kind of hurt it in some aspects.  The remainder of the cast was great and definitely brought their "A" games.  The story for this one is not something new but something new to the horror genre.  So many films have the storyline where someone is wrongerd or cheated on and plot their revenge.  However, not all of them take the revenge down the dark path of murder with a chainsaw.  I really liked that and it made me want to see what the stories are like for Jared's other films.  Finally, the film has some pretty nice kills with just as good special effects.  The chainsaw scene is by far my favorite and will stick out to me for years to come.  Overall, Buddy Hutchins is a bloody good film that packs some great kills into a great story.  I highly recommend this one!








No comments:

Post a Comment