Friday, August 8, 2014

The Cemetery (2013)





 (out of 5)


The Cemetary (2013)
directed by:  Adam Ahlbrandt
starring:   J.D. Brown, Natalie Jean, Adam Huss, Tim Cronin, Tabetha Ray, Billy Gram, Roberto Lombardi, Ruby LaRocca, Victor Bonacore         
Format:  Online Screener (Soon to be in my physical collection!)

   
     I have a new favorite director and his name is Adam Ahlbrandt.  I cannot wait to get home and watch the Burnt House.  After seeing first the Crossbearer which blew me away I finally last night watched the online screener I received for The Cemetery which by all means I should have number one watched first and "B" should have watched a hell of a lot sooner.  I haven't been this excited about a director since I discovered Dustin Mills.  I most assuredly will have all Adam's films in my collection as soon as humanly possible since for me screeners or downloads definitely do not count as collection pieces, not even close.  I spoke briefly online with Mr. Ahlbrandt and he tried to steer me from watching Sight his first film saying it wasn't very good but no sorry Adam I must see everything you've done and at this point own it too.  Very excited for his next film The Sadist which I did contribute a pre-order for and proud to do so.
     Let's start out by saying The Cemetery is what happens when The Blair Witch Project and The Evil Dead have mad monkey sex and give birth to a child.  It's really the best description to give.  During the early times, 1600s I think, a crazy order of religious nuts built a church on an ancient Native American land and start torturing and murdering the native Americans in the process.  We get an introduction and a series of gory flashbacks to explain all this.  The gore in this one is absolutely amazing fx wise and plenty of it thrown around beginning to end.  Anywho shoot to present day and we have a small group of "ghost hunters" searching for the Cemetery of the old church with a stolen book from the archives detailing the murderous actions of the long dead priests.

 
      It gets worse and worse for our group when first Andrea (Natalie Jean) goes missing during the first night.  Slowly and violently the group gets literally ripped to pieces either by being possessed and then getting chopped up or being not possessed and getting their heads ripped off and guts pulled out.  Natalie Jean was the shining star for me she really nailed the part of both camp site slut and one of the demon possessed.  Like Crossbearer this movie had plenty of great sound effects including the growls of the demons running around the woods.  Adam also added the perfect touch of silliness within some the characters especially Adam Huss who plays Tim.  His character in particular was perfect for a laugh all the way up to his untimely death.  I really have no complaints for this movie other than the small complaint of throwing in more of a score than the death metal.  While I do enjoy the music by itself I'm always more in preference for scores.  I really can't get over how much I liked this one.  I went in expecting a lot after Crossbearer and when my blog boss Mac Brewer told me the Cemetery was better the hype went off the charts for me and it delivered in every way.  And I even got a quick cameo of one of my favorite indie lady's Ruby LaRocca towards the end of the film.  Do not pass the movie up and do not take as long to watch it as I did.  Right now I'm just anxiously awaiting my own physical copy so I can watch it without "For Screening Purposes Only" across the bottom of the screen.  THANK YOU ADAM AHLBRANDT!

            




No comments:

Post a Comment