Monday, July 17, 2017

All the Colors of the Dark


Director - Sergio Martino (Torso, Blade of the Ripper)
Starring - George Hilton (Macho Killers, My Dear Killer), Edwige Fenech (Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key, Strip Nude for Your Killer), and Ivan Rassimov (Eaten Alive, Death's Dealer)
Release Date - 1972
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "They cannot be exorcised from the world because their power has grown too strong...their numbers too many"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     How do you follow up Brain Damage?  I wanted to stay in the realm of horror comedies but a recent addition to my collection caught my eye and peaked my interested.  I enjoy Italian horror for the most part but I'm not that fond of the Italian cannibal flicks and giallos are hit or miss with me.  I adore the work of Dario Argento but a few other giallos I've seen over the years really lacked the imagination and beauty.  The movie I recently got that looked fun was All the Colors of the Dark and was sent my way from Shameless Screen Entertainment.  This 1972 flick was directed by Sergio Martino who has fell victim to my reviews before.  Thank you Shameless for sending this one my way.
     The film follows a young woman who is romantically involved with a man but the two have not tied the knot.  Sometime ago they were expecting a child but a car accident robbed them both of the bundle of joy and, in doing so, her sanity.  Since the accident she believes she is being stalked by a knife wielding maniac and tries to find help.  She visits with a doctor but it doesn't seem to help her any until one day she meets another woman that lives in her apartment building.  She recommends visiting a man she knows for help.  She does and it seems to work at first but what she doesn't know is that she is about to become a member of a Satanic cult where the only way out is death.
     Italian horror, and giallos in particular, tend to have a slow buildup before the bringing the story full circle.  The viewer is expected to have patience and to give the film your undivided attention because if you miss just the smallest of details you could clueless later in the film.  All the Colors of the Dark was a fun Italian film with giallo flair but didn't have the complexity.  This is an Italian film after my own heart.  The acting in this one is solid.  I really enjoy watching Edwige Fenech.  She is an actress I only recently discovered and instantly fell in love with.  She is naturally beautiful and has the acting chops to back it up.  Her supporting cast is great as well but they don't stand a chance next to her.  The story for this one reminds me a lot of one of my favorite Christopher Lee flick, The Devil Rides Out.  I was not expecting the cult angle and it played out very well.  This is very effective storytelling and writing.  The story is a little slow but the movie continuously tosses in things to hold the viewer's attention.  Finally, those of you looking for the bloodsplatter of an Italian horror film will be a little disappointed.  The film does have a few on screen kills but they are very weak with very little entertaining value.  Overall, All the Colors of the Dark is a very effective horror thriller set against the backdrop of the Satanic cult scare of the late 60s and early 70s.  The film makes very good use of time and does a great job building tension.  I recommend this well shot horror film.  
     



No comments:

Post a Comment