Monday, September 11, 2017

Mountain Devil


Director - Ryan Cavalline (Stockholm Syndrome, Dead Body Man)
Starring - Eric Altman, Eddie Benevich, and Dennis Dean
Release Date - 2017
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Based on true events"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     By this point it is no surprise that I am a fan of cryptozoology and local folklore.  Growing up in West Virginia I was raised on the tales of Mothman of Point Pleasant and the Braxton County Monster.  Both are state known legends that really kicked me into horror.  I discovered cryptozoology around the time I read through my school libraries Goosebumps collection.  It was then that I was introduced to several Appalachian ghost story collections and some had tales of bigfoot, the Mothman, and one eye witness account of the Braxton County Monster.  I was hooked on these stores.  I'm not a believer but I do have an interest in the matter.  Sometime ago Wild Eye released the Ryan Cavalline film Mountain Devil.  Having a story centered around bigfoot made me curious.  I reached out to them and they were kind enough to hook me up with a review copy.  Thanks guys!
     This docu-drama follows a team of investigators as they try to follow the steps of Frank Peterson who had an encounter with a bigfoot type creature years before.  They set up shop in the area their video footage was filmed and spend the night in hopes of catching the mysterious cryptid on film.  While this is taking shape we are given interviews from locals that has witnessed similar creatures while in the woods nearby.
   




   
     Before I start this part of my review I do have to say that this review is far from perfect.  In fact, some may find it unwatchable but I really enjoyed it.  I can see where Cavalline was going with it and was entertained by it but there was several things I would have changes.  The "interviews" in this one are fun but some are a little awkward to watch.  Some may be camera shy or their first time on camera and it shows.  However, some are natural in front of the camera and deliver their dialogue in a pleasant manner.   With that being said, the "re-enactment" scenes were solidly acted.  I really enjoyed these little cut scenes and would have loved to see them become their own standalone flick.  The story for this one was entertaining but it could have easily been split into two separate flicks.  The first portion, the documentary, is a fun look at a supposed encounter where a hunter and his friend shoot and kill a bigfoot like creature.  We have a look at the family who had heard the story and a candid interview with the person themselves.  This should have been a stand alone film.  The other portion, the re-enactments was a solid look at a bigfoot horror film.  These scenes are short and few in between but I would have loved for this to be it's own film.  The story was simple and would have worked on a no to low budget.  Finally, this isn't your typical horror film with the blood and gore.  It does have a sasquatch kill that is bloody.  The effects are not the best but that is why I loved it.  It reminded me of a cheap shot on video kills from the 90s.  Overall, Mountain Devil is not the film you are expecting.  This documentary/mockumentary is fun if you have an interest in cryptozoology but there is plenty of room for improvment.  Cryptid fans will need to check it out.  




No comments:

Post a Comment